Railroad Forums 

• Looking for UP turbine info

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#296799  by dieselsmoke

Hi

I ask anyone who has any kind of books on UP 8500hp turbines to help me out.

I'm looking for a diagram showing the interior of the locomotive, the turbine itself, the generators etc.

I believe such a thing is not copyrighted to the authors of the books, so I would ask you to scan it for me, if you can and are willing to.

Or if you have found such a diagram on-line and already have it in an electronic format, I'd appreciate it if you let me know

Or better yet, if you have any kind of photos of the interior of the turbine, showing the prime mover

If you have anything of the sort, digramns, pictures, photos, illustrations, anything regarding the prime mover and generators of this locomotive, please PM me , would be really gratefull.

Thank you

#297053  by Engineer James

The Illinois Railroad Museum has one of them... Take a trip and see it. Its pretty cool..... U can really get some good info....

#297146  by dieselsmoke

Engineer James wrote:The Illinois Railroad Museum has one of them... Take a trip and see it. Its pretty cool..... U can really get some good info....
What, you can actually go inside?

Well anyway:

1. Thousands of miles from home, had to get a visa just to see it :)

2. I'd still be without a diagram or a photo in my computer image collection

#298859  by Engineer James

Do a photo look up on Google... as for Diagrams... no clue.

Yes, when I was there last year they let us go inside... it was awesome. If u want a good model, get the NEW Hallmark orniment that was modeled after the turbine and aux water tender....

#298868  by pennsy

Hi All,

Working from a videotape from Pentrex, UP's big turbines were essentially an A-B unit. The cab unit had the small diesel and controls and the B unit had the big Turbine power plant. This is where the Big Blow was located. The diesel engine in the A unit was utilized to move the engine around within the yard, and once it was ready to power the train, the Big Blow in the B unit was started. This combination was probably the system with the greatest horsepower that ever hit the rails. However, you definitely needed ear plugs when it passed you by.

#298937  by byte

I believe the city of LA banned them in within the city limits because of the noise. Also, the heat coming out of the exhaust was, well, pretty hot. According to Steve Lee on the old Trains Unlimited series on the History Channel, one was idling under an overpass and the heat ended up melting an 8' diameter hole in asphalt and tar on the viaduct.

#299262  by Engineer James

Wow, byte, never heard that... that would be amazing, however I bet a GE could do it if u left it long enough....

#299272  by pennsy

Hi All,

Haven't heard that one, but in fact, the Big Blows did enter Los Angeles. The Pentrex videotape shows this. At idling, they were noisy but tolerable. At run eight, good luck. Interestingly enough, they did sound like jet engines. And, those are LOUD.