Railroad Forums 

• What's new along the Cape May Branch?

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#142  by Elwood

I have not been down the Cape May branch in a long time, but the last I knew there was work to restore Tuckahoe Junction for the CMSL. How far along has that come? Has anything else hppened along that branch I am not aware of?

Elwood

#344  by chuchubob

The CMSL has restored about five miles of track from Tuckahoe to Woodbine Junction.

The West Jersey Chapter-NRHS will hold its April membership meeting at Tuckahoe station on April 24. Visitors are welcome.

The CMSL will run a train from Tuckahoe to Woodbine Jct and back, twice, after the West Jersey Chapter meeting. The (not engraved in stone) plan is to run a train to Woodbine and back for people who just want to ride the train, then to run a second trip for railfans who want photographs at Woodbine Jct and run-by's. Price is expected to be $10 for either or both rides.

#714  by JJMDiMunno

chuchubob wrote:The CMSL has restored about five miles of track from Tuckahoe to Woodbine Junction.
Have they finished the re-grading all the way to Woodbine? Last time I was down there a few weeks ago, there was no change in the track at Woodbine except the ties...still needed ballast and a pass with a regulator...

#776  by chuchubob

I should have said "is restoring" instead of "has restored".

#1229  by rushhour

Whats to be done with the track below Woodbine? Arent they going to fix this up so that they can actually run over it? Is the is new construction going to repair the bridge in Woodbine?

Take care

#2035  by JJMDiMunno

rushhour wrote:Whats to be done with the track below Woodbine? Arent they going to fix this up so that they can actually run over it? Is the is new construction going to repair the bridge in Woodbine?
For the time being, the trackage between Woodbine and Cape May Courthouse will remain in it's current state of disrepair. It is unknown how long the rest will remain this way, but I'd say that once revenue begins rolling in from the freight service, restoration of the rest of the railroad should progress relatively quickly.

Originally, it had been said that the Woodbine bridge over route 550 would be restored, however I'm questioning that now. I haven't seen any work done on that yet personally...and I'm no longer sure how they plan to lay the rails for the new industrial tracks down there. When I was there last, chances began to look pretty good that they would just use the old Woodbine Secondary lead up to Modern Gas, and then just continue into the airport using that same lead, eliminating the need to fix the bridge. I'll be down there on April 24th for this West Jersey chapter event, so we'll see what it looks like then...

Take care.

#2491  by Elwood

I am somewhat confused about the CMSL frieght service. I was aware that it was scheduled to begin, and that they had customers, but has it begun yet, or is that tentative to the restoration of the trackage?

Elwood

#2557  by JJMDiMunno

Elwood wrote:I am somewhat confused about the CMSL frieght service. I was aware that it was scheduled to begin, and that they had customers, but has it begun yet, or is that tentative to the restoration of the trackage?
Well, yes they do have at least two currently open on-line customers waiting right now...both are in Woodbine. However, this is all waiting on the track work...and the spurs still need to be constructed into these two facilities. Work has not even begun on the spurs...so there will likely be some time before service begins. Also coming on-line soon is the new Woodbine Industrial Complex on the grounds of the Woodbine airport, which will contain several businesses that intend to ship by rail. This is all very exciting for CMSL, and things look very promising...

However, when this service will actually begin I am not able to say at this time (not because I can't, it's because I don't know)...I haven't even heard a tentative date yet...

Take care.

#2978  by Elwood

Thanks for clearing that up Mister DiMunno. That makes sense, and I look forward to the start of that service, when ever it may be.

Elwood