• Railfanning Around Oneonta

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by trevor macpherson

I think theres a picture of it in this forum or Railfanning around Binghamton.

Yep its in this one on either pg1 or pg2.

by ricebrianrice

To try and answer your question about the number of tracks in the Oneonta yard, I think there are only two left. Last time I was down there, a couple of years ago, I only remember the 2 main tracks going all the way through, and some small sidings going into the shop. I was looking to purchase a peice of property in the old yard, but a lot of it has been developed.

by scottychaos

The "New York State Interactive Mapping Gateway":

http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/MainMap.cfm

Has an aerial photo of the yard from May 2005, that shows at least 5 tracks in place near the Roundhouse.
2 mainline tracks.
one yard track to the south of the mainline,
and 2 yard tracks to the north.

by aline1969

Cool, thanks for the link :)

by trevor macpherson

Yes thank you for the link.
  by drobertson

There have been some articles in the Oneonta newspaper regarding a wood chip burning power plant to be built on the site of the D&H yards. I think it is currently in the permitting process. Is this being built at that location to utilize the rail service or because it is an undeveloped open area? Will any of the existing track structure be altered?

by trevor macpherson

This might start a fleet of woodchip trains. Maybe a topic on this to find out more on this topic???

by trevor macpherson

I just heard that the Oneonta wood chip plant isnt going to happen but I am seeing more and more Centerbeam flat cars and flat cars arriving at Unalam in sidney. Does anyone now if they are starting to get and ship supplies via rail??? Thanks!!!!

by trevor macpherson

The other day a train went by my house and my scanner was on and everything but the train never called out any MP's or signals. And its not the first time... Why do some trains in this area do that???
  by march hare

Sloth is the most likely explanation, but a legitimate distraction may also play a role.

I live within scanner range of the 503 detector (Esperance Station, at the east end of the Delanson passing siding). Some of the crews deliberately mumble, and some don't acknowlege at all.

To be fair, there's always the possibility that something was going on in the cab at the time, and that took priority over talking back to the detector. If a unit stopped loading, or they just dumped the air unexpectedly, I could imagine that would be more important.

by trevor macpherson

Hey everyone I just heard that suposedly theres going to be a Railfan club organizing in Sidney. Does anyone know of this or who is doing this???