Railroad Forums 

• Wilton Scenic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#26860  by thebigham

How are things on the Wilton Scenic?

I drove by on Sunday. I'll ride some day.

Chris

#27786  by citystation1848

Things are going well on the train. Ridership has been steady, slow, but steady. This year seems to have started out better than last, which is good since we've had a year to get our name out.

Learning from Mother's Day, Mr. Draper made the decision to run three trains instead of the normal two to handle the crowd. It's a good thing he did, because all three trains on Father's Day are booked solid.

Check out our website for special trains such as our Mountain Laurel Specials and our first dinner train. For dates and rates, check out: http://www.wiltonscenicrr.com

Matt
Wilton Scenic Railroad Conductor

#28085  by thebigham

What are the Mountain Laurel specials?

#28104  by citystation1848

The Mountain Laurel Specials that we have planned are trains leaving at 11 and 2 (normal trains as printed on our schedule) for this next coming weekend and the weekend of July 3 and 4, and the trains will be slowing down near the patches of Laurel. Mountain Laurel is a rare, colorful plant only found in the mountains and it attracts many people, so we will be facilitating them for the next two weekends.

Photos of the beautiful plants...
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/kala.html

Matt

#28282  by citystation1848

Ahh... the days of flagging. Standing in the middle of a road protected by only a little orange flag and vest. To motorists, the orange screams HIT ME! :wink:

Schedule:
Weekends - 11am & 2pm
Mountain Laurel Special - June 26 & 27 and July 3 & 4 - 11am & 2pm
July - Weekends + Tuesday and Friday at 2pm
Dinner Train - July 17 - 6:30pm
August - Weekends + Tuesday and Thursday at 2pm

Matt
 #28783  by park

Where are the RDC's parked when they are not being used? I traced the line yesterday and no sign on them anywhere. Thanks
PRK

#28899  by citystation1848

When not in use, 30 and 15 are kept on the siding inside the Pike Industries gravel pit. This way, they are out of the way of the Milford-Bennington Railroad's stone train and they are in a secure location. The public is not allowed in the pit, as it is an active gravel operation.

If you stop by early Saturday or Sunday morning, I'd be more than happy to show you the train. Well actually, just come for a ride!

Matt

#28914  by shadyjay

Matt...
Just so you know, we have plenty of Mountain Laurel here in Connecticut -after all, it is our state flower. It's all over the place here, not just in the mountains. :)
Hope you're enjoying your conductor experience as much as I did - as I was one for several years down in Essex, CT. One of these days, I have to ride the other tourist railroads in New England.

-Jay Hogan