Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#278097  by PeteyNice

So, I got caught up in the delays because of track work between Harrison and JSQ this weekend (my train from WTC to Newark left 10 mins late and took almost an hour to make the trip because of it). Is there any place online that tells people this stuff is going on? I checked the PATH website and the "Service updates" section does not mention it. I have almost always had good experiences with PATH and this was disappointing.

#281073  by Ike

I wholeheartedly agree -- this was very disappointing and the lack of any warning about it ticked me off. The trains are running every 20 minutes out of Newark instead of every 15 minutes as usual. I arrived at track one at 12:42 p.m. yesterday expecting to board the PATH train scheduled to leave Newark at 12:45, but I was there just in time to see a packed train leaving, and the next one didn't leave until 1:02.

I asked a PATH employee about it and he explained (in halting, stumbling words) that they were running less frequently due to the track work, which will continue for quite a while apparently. (He didn't actually explain it very well, but I gathered that he meant it would go every 20 min. instead of every 15. The departure time eventually confirmed this.) I asked if this is going to be reflected in new schedules and he said no, because it's temporary. I asked why it's not the web site and he said something like, "I don't know -- they don't ever tell us anything," seeming to imply that this whole weekend re-scheduling was sprung on them without much warning.

If they'd known even on Friday, it would've been nice if they'd announced it (instead of endless repeats of the "PATH police ARE working to keep you safe... random bag inspections (etc.)"), or at least posted notices about it aboard the trains or even just in the stations, not just on the web sites. After all, even the much-maligned MTA manages to post notices about weekend NYC subway service changes all around their stations (and they've got way more ground to cover) and on their site. (The whole crazy thing with the 4 train not going to Brooklyn on the weekends, and needing to take an N or a special J or M may be bizarre and confusing, but at least there's plenty of notice about it.)