Railroad Forums 

• A loco by anyother name!

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#272390  by tnrailwatcher

I live in an area serviced by CSX only (meaning the USA :-D :-D ) but I commonly see locomotives from UP and some times other common class 1 names. Are these engines that were bought my CSX, or were they simply picked up from a move across country and used for convenience. If the second is more correct, does CSX have to pay UP something or do they have an "exchange" policy or how does that work?

BTW, I sure would like to see one of the old L&N locomotives roll through Middle Tennessee agian. :-). Before the Seaboard and CSX buyouts, they were all over the place here (early '80s).

#272412  by DutchRailnut

just locomotives traveling in interchange. the mileae is logged and CSX pays back by letting CSX locomotives roam off property.

#274567  by slchub

And sometimes the RR's have a program whereas items such as perishables and hot freight are not yarded and interchanged, rather the other RR keeps the other's power on the point and runs the train to the destination and then the return train is sent back using the same power.

Such is the case (not always) with the QFRNPP.

http://www.uprr.com/customers/ag-prod/e ... ndex.shtml

We also get BNSF trains where the power is all BNSF, we take it to the Utah coal fields on the UP, load it up, and return it to BNSF in Barstow.