Railroad Forums 

• Need help identifying a rail "car" seen on televis

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#270254  by crowtoo

Sorry if this the wrong forum to ask this question but I figured this was as close as any would be. I've been doing a websearch looking for help identifying something I saw once on television and this place seems to have the most knowledgeable rail fans I've found so far so I thought I would ask here.

I remember watching a show once that I think was about uses for abandoned rail lines. They had these little "cars" that held one or maybe two people and rode on the rails. I think they were gasoline powered (lawn mower engine?) and they didn't seem to weigh very much. Or maybe they were pedal powered? I think I remember seeing a single person pick it up and place it on/off the tracks. They were not very fancy and mostly just framework and a seat and a small motor.

These looked like a very good way to experience a lot of scenery only visible from the rail line without a lot of hiking. Is anyone here familiar with these things and know what they are called? Does anyone know where these are currently being used and if they are something you can buy or if they were homebuilt?

Thanks for any information you are able to provide me with,

Chris
[email protected]
 #270463  by GeorgeF

crowtoo wrote:I remember watching a show once that I think was about uses for abandoned rail lines. They had these little "cars" that held one or maybe two people and rode on the rails. I think they were gasoline powered (lawn mower engine?) and they didn't seem to weigh very much. Or maybe they were pedal powered? I think I remember seeing a single person pick it up and place it on/off the tracks. They were not very fancy and mostly just framework and a seat and a small motor.
See http://www.narcoa.org/; that should be a good place to start!