Railroad Forums 

• Small boats hauled by flatcar?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#250394  by dhaugh

Do boats (like fishing boats etc) ever get hauled by rail? I saw it once in the '90s on the east-west CNW main in Illinois. Wondered if this was a special move, or if they do it regularly anyplace.

#250534  by GOLDEN-ARM

Lionel and Model Power do it all the time!!! :wink: In 24+ years on the job, I have never seen a boat on a railcar, anywhere, at anytime. (excepting some marinas use a cradle car, on rails, for hoisting cars into and out of the water. in no way connected to a railroad, however) Regards :-D

#250550  by LCJ

What - never?

#250601  by BR&P

Actually I can think of a couple different boat-on-train examples.

First, I have seen photos in old RAILROAD magazines, taken during WWII, of lifeboats being shipped from point of manufacture to some naval yard or other to be used on warships. While "lifeboat" may suggest something small, these were pretty good-sized boats.

Second, in my NYC or PC days, there was a customer in Webster NY who received pleasure boats by rail - the shipper was Mirro-Craft I think, but I've forgotten where they were shipped from. These boats were shipped in boxcars so they could not have been cabin cruisers, probably large outboards.

As far as "put your 36-foot Chris-Craft on a train and ship it to your winter home in Florida", no, I've never seen anything like that. Sorry, Lionel!

#250708  by GN 599

In one of my NP books there is a shot with a train with a boat on a flat car. Looks just like the Athern one! It was in the late 60's.

#251868  by GOLDEN-ARM

Interesting photos, although I might not consider the Alaska Railroad to be part of the general freight system of the "lower 48". As such a remote road, lots of that stuff probably had no other means of transportation. Very, very interesting stuff to look at. Thanks for sharing........ :-D

#254550  by wis bang

My Grandfather mentioned PT boats shipping through on flat cars during WWII. The goverment took control of all manufacturing so boats were built by various sub contractors and shipped by rail to places where the transport ships were loaded. I'd think that subcontracted Higgins boats [landing craft] would have been shipped this way too.

Prior to WWII the canal system still existed in places and mid size yachts, etc were often ferried via the canals & inland waterways. You still see this in Ontario where the Rideau Canal ferries pleasure craft from Ottawa to Kingston & Lake Ontario to make a loop of a St. Lawrence seaway trip.

Most modern production is close to water and several motor carriers specialize in moving the the rich man's toys by truck today.

I remember seeing Mirro Craft & Starcraft fishing boats in the 60's.; lots of stuff came by boxcar back then!

#255596  by mxdata

I have seen pictures of lifeboats and smaller navy personnel boats being shipped by rail during World War Two, but I cannot recall any photos of a PT boat traveling by rail. The PT boats were 77 to 80 feet in length with a beam that vastly exceeded railroad clearances. Elco, Higgins, and Huckins, the three wartime PT builders were all located on bays or waterways, and for long distance shipment the PT boats generally ran under their own power to a port and then were loaded as deck loads on tankers. I think I remember seeing pictures of John Kennedy's PT109 in a government photo survey taken while the boat was being loaded on a tanker months before his famous encounter with a Japanese Destroyer.

Some of the wartime transportation solutions are absolutely fascinating, like the travels of fleet submarines built in Manitowoc, which went through Chicago to Joliet, Illinois under their own power and were then loaded onto a floating drydock so a tug could take them down the river to New Orleans, where they were floated and proceeded again under their own power to the Pacific. There was an article about this operation years ago in Naval Institute Proceedings.

#258218  by dhaugh

A variation on the boat theme... reading up on some of the huge new cruise ship being built (in Florida maybe?) and was wondering, do they haul in materials and components for these by rail?

#263348  by Malley

Historically, the Allegheny Portage Railroad hauled sectioned canal boats over the mountain from Duncansville to Johnstown, but that was in the 19th Century.
Malley