Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Livery

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #234887  by steamal

The barbecue restaurant where I work is located right by a Norfolk Southern crossing. On more than one occasion, I've seen olive-drab locomotives go through this crossing. Are Norfolk Southern's locomotives typically olive-drab when it takes delivery of them before it paints them?

#234951  by FireChaserE3

I believe that olive / gray color usually indicates a newer engine that has yet to be painted. I believe on NS these are sometimes called "Naked Horses."

Jim F.
:-D
 #234957  by chuchubob

steamal wrote:The barbecue restaurant where I work is located right by a Norfolk Southern crossing. On more than one occasion, I've seen olive-drab locomotives go through this crossing. Are Norfolk Southern's locomotives typically olive-drab when it takes delivery of them before it paints them?
Is this what you've seen?
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=306822

that's primer.
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=336932

Bob
 #235011  by ssw9662

NS has been having their locomotives painted in primer since the early 90's when the SD70's were delivered. While not all the EMD's since then were delivered in primer, almost all the GE's have been.

From what I've read NS can paint a locomotive themselves for two thirds of the price it would cost to have them delivered painted by GE or EMD. Also, they don't have to paint the engines right away, so if there is a traffic surge they can rush them into service in primer, then paint them when the traffic level goes down.

Austin

#236249  by U-Haul

I think this the right place to ask. Since Norfolk Southern loves to save money why not put the Norfolk Southern Horse Head on the side and give the whole unit a clear coat of paint? What is the name of the primer on those G.Es?

Star Trek 40th Anniversary
Last edited by U-Haul on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#237778  by ToledoTerminalRy

yeah some kind of plain horsehead or NS letter - similar to CSX's primer units with just CSX on the nose and a single yellow bow under that (opposite of ^ )

Ryan