Railroad Forums 

• Today on the NS I saw ...

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #198185  by Kevin B.

I work about a hundred yards away from the tracks that lead north from NS's John Sevier Yard in Knoxville, TN. The tracks are hidden behind large patches of wooded areas, so I can usually hear a train long before I can see it, but there are a couple of places where I can see the trains very well. Today, I heard a train coming, but it didn't sound right. It was a totally new and different sound than any other train I have heard. I ran outside, and noticed it had a very pronounced "whining" sound. When it came into view, it was a loaded coal train with one of the new SD70M-2s on the point ( with a couple of the usual Dash 9s following ), which are still pretty rare on the NS. Since the train was loaded, I knew it would have some DPU power on the tail-end, so I hung around outside to see what kind of power was on the end. As the end of the train neared, I heard that same whining sound, and low-and-behold if there wasen't ANOTHER new SD70M-2 (along with a Dash 9) on the rear of the train. Those new units look and sound pretty awsome. They can never be confused for any other loco., either by looks or sound. Has anyone else seen any "in person", and noticed the distinct sound they have?

P.S. This may seem pretty trivial to some, but it was pretty neat to me!

#199092  by trainiac

I've never heard an SD70M-2 or SD70ACe, but I would imagine the unique whining sound would be the result of the large radiator fans with more blades than the older 48" fans. Radiator fans are the source of the loud whine in EMD units, and the sound changes depending on the fan type.

#199097  by ANDY117

I saw 10T with the CP 8737 ES44AC leading and AC4400CW and 3 CP SD40-2's....

#199342  by emd_SD_60

Today's UP ALDAS-26 had two NS units, including a new SD70M-2, seen here at Gorham:

#200718  by Bucyrus6150

I saw two of them this morning along with an ex Conrail EMD. I barely had enough time to get my camera out and snap a picture before they flew by.

I was pretty suprised to see them as the NS trains through here usually have a couple catfish and an old conrail unit....

#206560  by chuchubob

#215615  by U-Haul

I saw a SD70M-2 behind a Union Pacific SD60M (We Will Deliver) and a C40-9W today.

BLACK HISTORY MONTH
STAR TREK 40TH ANNIVERSARY

#230534  by pennsy

Hi All,

Okay, I got a one up on you for today. Leaving Los Angeles Union Station on Metrolink today, passed a freight waiting in the hole for us to pass. The LEAD unit was sporting a prancing horse on the nose, followed by a string of UP cab units. You heard me, the NS diesel, a cab unit, was leading the UP consist. And within the city limits of Los Angeles. How do you explain that one?? As far as run throughs goes, that one takes the cake. Normally foreign power does NOT lead the consist.
 #230596  by chuchubob