Railroad Forums 

• Instant Monopod

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#225560  by pennsy

Hi All,

Through several of these threads mention has been made of using formal tripods, monopods and other camera steadying devices. All are cumbersome to carry, are conspicuous, and arouse the attention of the RR "Bulls". This is an undesirable situation; you do not want to attract attention to yourself these days.

I normally carry my SLR 35 mm camera in its case around my neck. On the strap are two film cassette holders, securely taped to the strap. The first one carries a spare roll of 35 mm film. The second one carries a generous length of string or cord. This string or cord is long enough to reach from the bottom of the camera, attached to the tripod mount, to the ground. Should I need a tripod or monopod, I open the cassette holder, remove the string or cord, attach one end to the bottom of the camera case and allow the rest of the string to fall to the ground. You then step on the cord or string and pull the camera taut against it. As long as that string is taut, the camera will NOT shake, vibrate, or quaver. It is held steady as long as the string is taut. You can Pan or Tilt etc. with the camera. This is ideal for using long telephoto lenses or a zoom lens. When finished taking pictures, reverse the process and return the string or cord to the cassette holder.

This little trick was taught to me by the professional photographer friend of mine that trained me to take photographs at a professional level. Try it you will like it and Enjoy.

#225747  by JLJ061

Another good trick is to use a stationary object that is already there, like the top of a trash can, picnic table, etc.

The problem with that is finding something that is the ideal height you need!

#225758  by pennsy

Hi JL,

That is why the string or cord is of generous length. That way if you are a five footer or six footer, no problems mate. Generally a cord of about five feet in length is more than enough.

#227424  by MEC407

That's a great trick. I'll have to try that. Thanks!