Railroad Forums 

• New member questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#209074  by thebigc

If you're looking to move to Northern NJ/NE PA, I'd take a look at NJ Transit. We'll be hiring trainmen all year long. Lots of advantages versus freight:

1) you're home every night.

2) better pay than NS and I think CSX too.

3) quite a few terminals to choose from, seniority allowing.

PM me if you're serious about NJT.

#209105  by LIRailfan79

don't forget about amtrak and metro-north

#209466  by CSX Conductor

I would suggest in this order or preference:
1) NJT
2) Metro-North or LIRR
3) CSXT
4) NS
5)Amtrak

#209532  by thebigc

CSX Conductor wrote:I would suggest in this order or preference:
1) NJT
2) Metro-North or LIRR
3) CSXT
4) NS
5)Amtrak
I concur. #4 and #5 are about a dead heat for last for their own various reasons. Where do you think Septa would fall on this roster? Towards the bottom, I'd imagine.

#209580  by Jtgshu

NJT is definately hiring right now, in LOTS of different positions - I was talking to someone in personel a few weeks ago, and they are hiring for train service, (conductors, asst conductors, trainmen in general) engine service (engineers), and there is also a need for Mechanical people.

Im currently in the Locomotive Engineers training class, and there are several people, in your age group, for lack of a better phrase - so don't worry about your age

#209641  by MNConductor

Metro-North is hiring Assistant Conductors like they're going out of style. Like NJT and LIRR, they do hire people from all different ages and backrounds. You'll need to apply online at www.mnr.org. Its a great place to work and alot of fun. Prior cash handling and customer service is generally recommended, but anything having to deal with coming in contact with rail equiptment as part of a prior job is definately something that would get employment's attention. (Which is a plus considering 3,000 people applied the last time the Assistant Conductor position was advertised on the website)
There are a few guys who I work with that came from CSX, we have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for the freight crews... Its a dangerous job and after hearing their horror stories of walking a 2 mile freight train waist high in snow at 3am looking for a separated brake hose, working in an M-1 with no heat suddenly doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world ;-)
 #209966  by amtbuff

Where would i get an application or where do i send a resume for transit????

#210240  by CSX Conductor

Go to the web-site provided in the last user's post, click on the blue hyper-link. :wink:

#210273  by thebigc

CSX Conductor wrote:Go to the web-site provided in the last user's post, click on the blue hyper-link. :wink:
I think he meant NJ Transit. That would be this hyperlink. :wink:

#213589  by CSX Conductor

bob g wrote:Any other advice?

freight vs passenger?
Have you read the thread entitled "So, You Want to Work on The Railroad"?

If memory serves correctly we discussed some of the pro's & con's of both passenger & freight.

#214262  by frank502

From my expierence.....passenger pays more. I worked at CSX for 4 years & now I'm with NJT. There are a few of us at Transit who were FORMER CSX and NS. I don't know anything about SEPTA.....but there are a few people from the Philly area working at NJT.

Freight is OK if you live in a lower cost area but in NJ / NY or eastern PA,you're probably better off with passenger.