Railroad Forums 

• New engineer makes regular daylight job

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#212961  by UPRR engineer

At nine years of service, after working every transportation agreement job there is, ive reached the top. Im a daylight hoghead on assigned local. Now theres only thirty more years of it. :wink:

Im gonna go enjoy my two days off this week.

#212969  by BigMike

To us non- hogheads please explain? :-D

#213133  by chrisjz

He's an engineer. Congrats UPRR...

#213217  by BigMike

Yea i figured out the Hoghead part, but what is Assigned Local?

#213218  by chrisjz

BigMike wrote:what is Assigned Local?
It's basically a regular job.

#213219  by chrisjz

BigMike wrote:what is Assigned Local?
It's basically a regular job, not called off the extra list.

#213346  by slchub

Hey there UPRR. Welcome back! Good for you. Enjoy the job and watch your headlight. My MOP just gave me an Act 2 for not dimming the light in the siding. Geez. Hey, fair is fair though, right? So follow every rule and enjoy the days off.

#213600  by CSX Conductor

Big Mike wrote:To us non- hogheads please explain?
A local, aka travelling switcher, which has assigned start time, assigned working limits and in this case sounds like he is on one that works in the daytime.
slchub wrote:My MOP just gave me an Act 2 for not dimming the light in the siding.
What is an "MOP"? Also, I thought that shortly after one of the deadly head-ons a few months ago that the UP came out with a no dimming the headlight rule. I know it sounds foolish, but I thought I read it on here somewhere.

#213603  by GOLDEN-ARM

MOP, or Manager of Operating Practices, AKA the Road Foreman of Engines. Yeah, I also read the headlights and ditchlights remain on, at all times as well. Another stupid, knee-jerk reaction, to attempt to "micro-manage" every aspect, of every employees' every minute on the property............... :( :(

#213696  by Aji-tater

So now when somebody is safely in the clear for you, he keeps the lights on so you wonder, hoping and praying he's in the hole instead of on the main? Maybe if you're in signaled territory, but even then it just does not sound right. More non-railroaders trying to reinvent the wheel.

#213871  by CSX Conductor

I agree it is stupid, that's why I was asking if it was truly a new rule. Even in signalled territory you can't be assured that an opposing train is in the clear as in most cases the signal isn't shunted until the move is an engine length beyond the actual signal.