Railroad Forums 

• Rehires

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#207281  by conductorforlife

I am curious about UP's rehiring process. If you worked for UP in the past and left going through all the proper channels like giving your notice and your employment record was great would they rehire you at a later date?
The person left due to a serious illnesses in the family and loved what they were doing it was just in another state where UP does not run.

#207681  by Chris_S68

I don't see why you couldn't give it a try. It's not uncommon for people to move from railorad to railroad. On their site, the UP states it is against their policy to hire someone who has been fired by the UP or any predecessor road, or has taken a buyout from the UP or any predecessor road. Doesn't say anything about someone leaving on good terms.

I took a buyout from the CNW, so I guess that precludes me from ever working for the UP, though I heard from an engineer that they don't really worry about that, but you know how that stuff goes.

#210520  by rail

Good luck. I have heard from some other rails that the up looks at leaving as being disloyal and will not rehire.

#210770  by chrisjz

rail wrote:I have heard from some other rails that the UP looks at leaving as being disloyal and will not rehire.
I have also heard the same thing about NS.

#211018  by KarlJ

I personally know of a former Amtrak co-worker that previously came from CSX by way of the UP. He believed he was a better fit in freight, but UP said no.
 #211476  by conductorforlife

Well I am going for it will let you know what happens. Thanks for the posts.

#213349  by slchub

One of my conductors a few weeks ago was a former CN guy who took a package and UP hired him as a new trainman out of Vegas. So I guess it is taken on a case by case basis.