Railroad Forums 

• AMDG drug test

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#211550  by foggy83

To the guys who have gone to AMDG:

I have been invited to the class starting March 6, and have a question about the drug test they give.

I'm 21, and have had bouts of epididimytis for years. (epididimytis- infection of the epididymis on one of the testes) Pretty much, it results in a dull nagging ache when its at its worst. It usually comes around every 2 or 3 weeks, then goes away. To get to the point, I have taken a couple of my mothers prescription pain pills when aspirin didn't help. I've taken 3 in the past month. These pills (Tramadol) are in the group of opiates.

On the medical section of the application, there were no questions having anything to do with my condition, and becuase its not severe, I didn't mention it. Should I have? I'm going to tell them ahead of time that I've taken these pain pills and why, but if they don't like my explanation will they kick me out?

#211575  by charlie6017

There's a chance it could show up, but it may rid itself out of your system since you did not take it frequently. But I would stop taking it if I were you and maybe see if you can get something from your physician. You really want to cover yourself.

#211578  by LCJ

If anything shows up in the test, I believe you will have to produce a valid prescription. Don't leave home without one.

#211590  by Chicagorail1

Here's the deal from a veteran of pain!

Yes, I work as a conductor in the yard, and yes I take pain medication.

1st-Not all pain medication excludes you from service. Some you can take four hours prior to going on duty, some 6, some not at all. The railroads Chief Medical Officer will make the call.

2nd-If you tell them you took pain medication without a prescription, your done. They don't care what condition you had, you 1000% better have YOUR name on the bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd-If you test positive for prescription pain medication, and have a prescription your 100% in the clear. As long as you told them.

Prescription pain medication without a prescription is consider recreation use drug and is no different to any railroad then if you smoked pot or did lines of coke.

#211660  by LIRailfan79

does anyone know what the policy is regarding anti-depressant medications? (i.e - Lexapro) would taking one disqaulify you from employment?

#211732  by foggy83

Thanks guys. I guess the thing to do is try and get a prescription from my doctor ASAP.

Still, when I submited my application to AMDG in late December, I put down that I wasn't taking any medications. The hair analysis go back 3 months, I think. If I show up positive for 3 months ago, I guess I'm still going to get to boot for lying, even if I have a prescription. (But would taking only a few pills a month qualify as being "on" medication? Everyone I talked to said it wouldn't, which is why I didn't put it on the application.)

The last thing I want to do is lie to them. I could always drop this class and try to get into another one later this year when my hair is clean, but it took me 3 years just to get into this class! I've already sent the $4500 in, so it would be a big hassle I'm afraid.

Thanks again, guys.
-David

#211781  by GOLDEN-ARM

Don't forget a prescription, for those "glaucoma" problems you might have had, as well............. :-D

#211921  by BigMike

Seems to me that if your Dr. knows about this condition then you should be able to go explain this to him and get him to write you a prescription for the same thing and your good to go.