Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#203212  by Engineer James

I found this pic last week, and did not get around to post it ntill now... Former D&H GP39-2 #7419. It was leading a power freight and is photoed on the Saginaw Sub. Just out of Plymouth Michigan. I found it amazing!

SEE LLINK FOR PIC AND DESCRIPTION:
http://members.aol.com/jsundin357/r514.html

#203339  by Trackmobile

That photo is from 1994.....I wonder if that unit is still around in D&H paint?

#203492  by Engineer James

I found itt on the site last week... anyway I love seeing a different paint job. I thought CP brought D&H, why is it pulling a CSX freight?

#203628  by Trackmobile

Those GP39-2`s were sold to CSX,by Guilford I believe.

#203758  by Engineer James

Giulford terminal? Why did they not repaint it?
 #203856  by D&HRailnut

Guilford sold off the 7600's in 1984. They now operate on the Union Pacific RR.

Canadian Pacific Rail sold off the 7400's to the CSX in 1991. If you look closely at the picture, the number on that unit is 4318, just had not been painted yet.

Yes, this unit and the others have all now been painted to CSX colors.

Joe O'Mara
Cortland, NY (Formerly Otego, NY)

#204071  by Engineer James

Thanks D&H.
 #207261  by D&HRailnut

I apologize. But after doing some research, I found that Guilford did not sell off the 7600's in '84. But painted them into Guilford colors, renumbered them and then kept them after they cast the D&H into bankruptcy. They kept them until '91 and then got rid of them.

Just one of the many dirty dealings Guilford dealt the D&H.

#207857  by DJ

I don't think they were sold to CSX. I think that they were leased from one of the roads that formed CSX, then returned to CSX when that lease was up.

They are still on the roster and painted in CSX colors, some in YN3.

http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/html/GP39-2.html
 #208431  by D&HRailnut

The lease was a 20 year lease to the Delaware & Hudson Railway for the 7600's which were leased from the federal government during the NorthEast Rail reorganization in the 70's. The lease for the engines was with the stipulation that after 20 years they were to be rebuilt.

But when Guilford purchased the D&H in 1984, they repainted all of the 7600's and folded them into the Boston & Maine Roster. They never got rid of them until the 90's.

And I know for a fact that the 7400's WERE sold directly from Guilford to the CSX.

#208586  by Engineer James

Ahhh... I even saw a newer photo of Old D&H Power in a book... "Ultimate Train", it is behind a CP Unit... I'll get the page number.

#210505  by Engineer Spike

The 7400 series were former Reading units. They went to CSX sometime during bankruptsy. The 7600 class came new to the D&H. When Guilford took over, these units got rebuilt by Morrrison Knudson. They came back as B&M 350 series. The lease did expire in the early 90s. I think that it was later than '91. I know that it was near my senior year of college (95-96). I went to school in Springfield, MA. My roommate's father worked for one of the railway leasing companies. He stopped by for a visit, on his way to E. Deerfield, to look at the units. After I hired out for BN, I used to see these units on the UP. They still were in Guilford paint. UP reporting marks just replaced the B&M.