Railroad Forums 

• NS operations

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#69366  by glennk419

NS operates along the ex-Lehigh Valley line into the North Jersey / New York metro area and shares operations with CSX in the north Jersey ports and Chemical Coastline under the guise of CSAO (Conrail Shared Assets). They also operate into western NY via the ex-Erie Southern Tier and ex-PRR Buffalo Lines.

#89329  by TGIV

Question what route would a high load take from Harrisburg to Binghamton? will it go over CP
 #97093  by Matt Langworthy

This is a tricky but thoughtful question! It depends on whether you are strictly considering tracks owned by NS or if you to include trackage rights. On tracks that are owned by NS- the northernmost point (in a geographical sense) would actually be former EL trackage in the Buffalo area. Via trackage rights- CP/D&H at Saratoga Springs.

#157791  by Sam Damon

On a slightly disconnected subject, does NS have a line from Harrisburg to Buffalo these days?

#157849  by charlie6017

NS has the Buffalo Line, which runs from Harrisburg to Buffalo via Renovo, PA and Olean, NY. Former PRR line.
 #159531  by Matt Langworthy

NS has deactivated some of the signals on the line and shifted traffic from there to former EL lines and LV lines owned by a combination of itself, CP and R&N.

CR had planned to sell at least part of the line to B&P but this was halted by NS in 1999.

#182802  by Stevescan

I know at the Allentown Yard the 2 tracks going North along the Lehigh River past CPHam north to Carbon county but after that where do they go to or end up?
 #192975  by wolfe

I will be starting my Conductor training in January and would like to get started studying. Can anyone tell me what signals NS uses so I can get started? Any other info on what I can start looking over whould be great.

#193000  by ANDY117

Signal types, or aspects/rules?

It really depends on what route you're working.

You can have the old PRR style aspect lights.

Type G (triangular) Type SA (searchlight) Type D (3 light, vertical).

As for rules, Can't help ya there!

#193006  by wolfe

Thanks Andy. I guess I will have find someone in Central IL. on this one. Seems like ONE system for everyone would be so much easier!