Railroad Forums 

• Rail line crossing under I-80 near Newton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#188991  by Andyt293

Being basically lazy here. Coming home from my wife's family's place today I noticed a rail line that went under I-80. Area was a few miles east of the Newton exit. Been through here dozens of times and never noticed it. There was a fairly modern signal a few hundred feet from the I-80 bridge. Like I said, being lazy here, too much turkey, and I don't feel like going through my books to figure out the line. Anyone care to help me out?

#188995  by Lackawanna484

I'd suspect you saw the NJT (DL&W) Boonton Line passing under I-80 in Roxbury, near the Lake Hopatcong exit. The Lake station is about a mile north of the double tracks. The US 206N exit for Newton is about three miles farther west.

The other, less likely choice, is at the US 46E on-ramp, and US 206N off-ramp. The Boonton line (single track) passes underneath as it approaches the Mount Olive station in the township of the same name.

#189010  by njtmnrrbuff

NJT's Montclair-Boonton Line passes under I-80 twice, within the Stanhope area. Yes, the first time you cross it heading west is like lesss than a mile south of Lk Hopatcong. The next and last time you cross it is just after the row leaves Netcong.

#189133  by Andyt293

Thanks guys. Makes sense.
 #189239  by henry6

Depends on what you mean. Yes, DL Boonton line goes under at Ledgewood. And the Washington Secondary (Hackettstown Line) goes under at Netcong. ALso, abandoned line at Allamuchy is the Lehigh and Hudson River. I think you are looking at the WashingtonSecondary although the old Sussex Branch roadbed can also be seen there and follows route 206 north from Cranberry Lake.

#189590  by gravelyfan

There is a signal visible from I-80 where it passes over the single track ex DL&W at Budd Lake. As you look to the north (from I-80), which is east on the Morristown Line (at least that's what NJT Rail would refer to it as), there is a signal right near the grade crossing there (Lover's Lane?)
 #189593  by henry6

OK then, you are talking about Netcong, just west of the station on the Washington Secondary.

#189646  by Lackawanna484

(For folks outside this arcane discussion.

We're discussing the area about a mile west of Netcong station. In Erie Lackawanna days, this was part of the Morristown Line, per Sheppard's Trackside guide. Later it was part of the Boonton Line

NJT lists it as part of both the Montclair Boonton Line, and its Morristown Line)

#189885  by denvillerailfan

I believe this is where the discussion is about-
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Netcong,+ ... 7951&hl=en

So where does the Washington Secondary begin / end? The Boonton / Morristown line flows directly into it, no? Is the split at the yard where the cutoff splits off also? (just a little east on the map...)

Thanks,

#190023  by Lackawanna484

I'll venture a guess and say the NS Washington Secondary begins at BILL, the division point just west of Hackettstown station.

Anybody know who BILL was?
 #190090  by henry6

Its not "who is Bill" but rather what it stands for. BILL is the point where NS starts charging NJT rent and NJT starts charging NS for dispatching.
(AND FOR ALL OF YOU WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND THE ABOVE: IT IS A SATIRICAL COMMENT, NOT A TRUTH, SO DON'T GO LOOKING INTO REAMS OF PAGES OF MATERIALS TRYING TO FIND THESE TERMS OR GO CALLING LAWYERS OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU DO WHEN CONFRONTED WITH SATIRE, ETC.)

#190184  by gravelyfan

Lackawanna484 wrote: NJT lists it as part of both the Montclair Boonton Line, and its Morristown Line)
I don't disagree that trains to/from both the Morristown Line and Boonton Line can operate west of Netcong, but on today's "Railroad" this is the Morristown Line - Look at the General Order or track chart. The west end of the Montclair (formerly Boonton) Line is at Denville.