Railroad Forums 

• rco vs. xtraboard...

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#159637  by thirdtrick

it's that special seniority time again... either deal with the Box or cope with the Phone.

phuckit. i'd rather carry the Burden than deal with unknown persons calling at all hours to work jobs that are gonna get me thrown out of service due to industrial danger & sloth...

i don't see the crisis that a lot of people seem to think RCO represents. remote's suck & are worthlessly inefficient save for a few repetative yard applications. who cares?

the glory days are over boys & girls... welcome to hell.

#159716  by Chris_S68

Of all the things that force me to have second thoughts about getting back into railroading, remotes are at the top of the list; almost as much for what they represent, as for what they are.

#159726  by UPRR engineer

It's really not that bad. Once you get good at it that is. Switching was alot more fun before with an engineer. A job is a job. Like i posted before, a six hour a day switch engine is hard to beat. If i got cut back id run right back to my home, 1530 east end job.

#159736  by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:Switching was alot more fun before with an engineer.
A good engineer. Switching with a bonehead engineer makes for a long day and additional gray hairs.

#161044  by CSX Conductor

thebigc wrote:
A good engineer. Switching with a bonehead engineer makes for a long day and additional gray hairs.
In many cases the engineer is only as good as the man on the ground. I see alot of conductors that end up dragging things out. :wink:

#174605  by steam371

Someone actually brags that they like the "dummy box"? A job maybe a job, but you're just supporting the abolishment of someone elses job.

#175114  by CSX Conductor

steam371 wrote:Someone actually brags that they like the "dummy box"? A job maybe a job, but you're just supporting the abolishment of someone elses job.
Very true, unfortunately too many people are ignorant to the fact that the remotes will somehow effect their own job-security. :(

#175140  by GOLDEN-ARM

I am suprised, the boxes are still around. Doesn't anyone throw stuff away anymore? We used to have an arbitrary, for handling EOT's, or markers. When the carrier didn't pay, some folks (a lot, actually) removed markers when ordered to, and threw them into ditches, canals, off bridges, into scrap cars, etc. Figure if the railroad can't pay 2 hours to handle that marker, then they could pay several thousand, to replace it. I would rather go to a hearing, regarding yet another "lost" control pack", than to help keep a brother out of a job. That's what job insurance is for, anyways. If every guy on the property "lost" his box on the same day, the carriers would HAVE to put crews onto trains. What do you think, everyone is going to be held OOS, for a hearing, to discover how you "lost" your box? We used to play "hardball" with the company, all the time, but it seems that these days, the guys are terrified of officials, and will "lay-down" for whatever the carriers are dishing. Just a thought........ :(

#177935  by slchub

And you know, I've seen tons of guys quit placing claims to timekeeping as they do not get paid the first time around. Screw 'em. It keeps another employee employed by the RR at HQ's, and it forces them to review the pay once again, and the carrier should pay out those claims. Keep at 'em. Turn them into the chairman after the third denial. Eventually you may get a check after the labor board reviews them three years down the road.

Also, the carriers want the agreement guys to convert to paperless pay stubs so they can contain the cost of printing, etc. Screw it. Don't give in on that one either. One more thing to take to the table during negotiations. They want to deny my claim fair and square, I'll deny thier request to go paperless.

#179380  by GOLDEN-ARM

I agree on that one, Schlub. I was once referred to, as the "King of Claims", by my LC, on Conrail. I did not have a single day, in five and one half years, with Big Blue, that I didn't submit a claim, or penalty timecard. I would never wait till 3 denials, though. After the first one, I filled out the form, supplied by my LC, and filed the claim, on the form, with a copy of the original claimed timesheet, and the denial. Every union meeting, I would hand deliver my "manuscript"(manifesto?) to the LC, or his assistant, for processing. In the quarterly claims settlement forums they held, some would be paid, some not. I know one thing, for sure though. I was never paid a single penny, for a claim I did not submit, or for a denail that I did not re-submit. Sometimes those claims were so many, in number, that the "system" would lag behind, by as much as 2 years, but that was still "money in the bank". Ultimately, I was paid for an average of one third of those submitted claims, sometimes earning half a years pay, in a calendar year. I feel sorry, for the new kids, who feel the 5 minutes "wasted" on filing claims is not worth the time. My best year produced over 25K in paid claims, and all I invested was the time to fill out the original, and follow up with the denials. As another member on this forum will attest, I even have been known to file a claim for such things as a TM staring too long at me, or even no color TV on a loco, when I was forced to sit in a siding all day long!!!(the CNDR was called into a "meeting" with the SUPT over that one, but for some reason, I wasn't) Of course those two weren't paid ( :( ), but some that were just as "unique" were. The trick is to bury them in paperwork, and force them to mediate every single claim. Also, don't forget to volunteer for every project your Local has on it's calendar, and never refuse a request, or favor, to your Union leaders. They make it happen, and it's nice to be seen at your monthly meetings, as well. Regards :wink:

#189177  by Delta

CSX Conductor wrote:
thebigc wrote:
In many cases the engineer is only as good as the man on the ground. I see alot of conductors that end up dragging things out. :wink:
This is true as well. But there are still engineers that I'd take an RCL over any day.

#189178  by Delta

steam371 wrote:Someone actually brags that they like the "dummy box"? A job maybe a job, but you're just supporting the abolishment of someone elses job.
So you are still running full crews complete with firemen and 2 helpers/brakemen?