Railroad Forums 

• PA trip with pics.... Yea, it's off topic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#182981  by Ken W2KB

The Reading tender shot qualifies as NJ, as I'm sure these made it over the Reading to the CNJ and thence to Jersey City from time to time.

#182994  by pdman

Lackawanna484, Yeah, that is so true about speeding. On my one and only ride in the cab of the Southern's Crescent in 1977 we noticed a cop car with full lights and sirens on some of the roads that were near the track. We were northbound out of Salisbury, NC with High Point being the next stop. We didn't think anything much about it. At High Point a cop climbed up into the cab and asked which one of us was the engineer. The guy at the controls said he was. The cop asked for his license and registration. We laughed. He didn't. He gave the engineer a ticket for speeding more than ten miles an hour over the speed limit of some town (either Sepncer or Linwood -- I don't remember). The guy delayed the train leaving, because no one could produce a registration and insurance document for the locomotive. He finally wrote down some things off the safety inspection form that was behind glass on the wall in the cab. He had a radar capture the train and ours was the one he targeted.

After we left we commented on the guy acting more like Barney Fife (sp?) in Maybury RFD (which was fictionalized not too far away northwest of Greensboro).

I never found out if the engineer was fined or what. But, speeding within the town limits of that town was interpreted as applying to trains, too.

#183089  by mikedc3

Guys,
On 940 where the tracks cross overhead in Paradise, There is a private road called Phoebe Snow Rd. that goes off and up and over the tracks. It then comes back out to 940. Right next to the bridge, there is an old 40ft box car 90° to the tracks.

Does anyone know how long it's been there, Who's car was it, or how it got there?

Has anyone ever walked into Paradise curve or the cut where Paradise tunnel once was?

There was a station in Heneryville at one time. A few years ago someone posted a picture to the EL list showing the remains of the platform and stairs. I did cross the tracks at grade on some side road there but didn't see anything. I would have walked around some but I didn't want to leave my bike.

#187331  by rushhour

mikedc3 wrote:Guys,
On 940 where the tracks cross overhead in Paradise, There is a private road called Phoebe Snow Rd. that goes off and up and over the tracks. It then comes back out to 940. Right next to the bridge, there is an old 40ft box car 90° to the tracks.

Does anyone know how long it's been there, Who's car was it, or how it got there?

Has anyone ever walked into Paradise curve or the cut where Paradise tunnel once was?

There was a station in Heneryville at one time. A few years ago someone posted a picture to the EL list showing the remains of the platform and stairs. I did cross the tracks at grade on some side road there but didn't see anything. I would have walked around some but I didn't want to leave my bike.
I believe that Paradise is the site of what the call "Devils hole" back in the EL days. Is this correct?

-John
 #187612  by henry6

Paradise is where there once was a tunnel. Devil's Hole was created by Hurricane Diane in '55 with track washout. Locations are close if not the same.