Railroad Forums 

• Does anyone use the Locoinverter?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#176514  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Just thinking about purchasing a Locoinverter--that converts the engines power from 74 volts up to 110. Was just wandering if it is something anyone else has used before?

I am not much of a coffee drinker----but give me some hot chocalate anytime!!!!!!!

Nashvillie Newbie

#176541  by DutchRailnut

for hot chocolat a $5 dip heater will work of the 75 volt DC outlet.

#177922  by slchub

Say Dutch, right on with the dip heater. I've used mine without any problems at all. I've said it here before as well, I have not had any problems with plugging my cell phone charger into the outlet below the console either. I've seen guys plug thier laptops in, however, I am not that strong in the stomach department as yet!

#177976  by DutchRailnut

just make sure antthing AC is plugged into a AC outlet.
The DC utlet is only for resistive loads like a heater or lamp.
The AC outlet should be safe, it probably feeds the onboard computer too of same inverter.

#182438  by Form 19

If you are looking to make coffee or anything like that, purchase a coffee pot that does not have a function that would be dedicated to AC..such as a timer or clock. The old style heater-element only coffee pots are fine and will work with AC or DC..

I have been using for years coffee pots made by MetalWare Corp. in Wisconsin. They operate from 12volts to 110volts..AC or DC. They are US Made and perfect for a train crew..3-8oz cups. You can plug it right into the 74VDC outlet and 15min later have coffee. Or use it on a 110VAC outlet in a crew room.

#184961  by westernrrtx

Yes it works great. I can run my portable N gauge set on the floor boards or the long nose of an SD-40 when we get stuck in a siding. I wish they made one for the dead head crew haul vans.