Railroad Forums 

• Tracks in Hillside

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#184353  by crnrailal

RAHWAY VALLEY wrote:This trackage is the former Lehigh Valley RR Irvington Branch. For many years the branch had indirectly served the large Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery in Newark, NJ. The Lehigh Valley, the Conrail, moved covered hopper cars containing the ingredients to brew beer to the Irvington yard. The material was transloaded into trucks. With the closing of the brewery, the main customer on the branch is a company that receives tank cars of corn oil. This customer is located adjacent to the Interstate 78. Other customers on the line received covered hopper cars containing plastic pellets. The branch is normally served by Conrail's OI-10, departing Parkview Yard in Newark in the afternoon for the run up the branch.
Worked for Kaiser Aluminum in Hillside from 1976 to 1989 when they closed the facility at 200 Route 22. Building is Brown Brick Building next to old Bristol Myers on Route 22 east BM.

Used to receive inbound freight at Kaiser- chemical tank cars from Gramercy, La - Aluminum billet from Chalmette, La box cars and sometimes flat cars. Firebrick from Mexico, Mo in box cars. Sheet and plate from Trentwood, Wa box cars and sometimes gondolas.

Can remember the cars for Pabst dropping grain along the tracks. In addition to Pabst you had the corn syrup and vegetable oil tankers going up to Oasis Foods which parallels Route 78.

Loads of lumber being deliverd to Manufacturers Reserve in Irvington which I believe still receive carloads of lumber.

Just a little history.

Crnrailal
 #184513  by Lackawanna484

crnrailal wrote:
RAHWAY VALLEY wrote: Just a little history.

Crnrailal
Thanks for sharing that.

I can remember seeing a LV switcher usually parked adjacent to NJ 22 just east of your plant, and west of Weequahic park. Was that the switcher which worked its way through your shop, the Ipana factory, etc?
 #184612  by Ken W2KB

Lackawanna484 wrote:
crnrailal wrote:
RAHWAY VALLEY wrote: Just a little history.

Crnrailal
Thanks for sharing that.

I can remember seeing a LV switcher usually parked adjacent to NJ 22 just east of your plant, and west of Weequahic park. Was that the switcher which worked its way through your shop, the Ipana factory, etc?
The passenger station building was still there then, as I recall. Maybe used as a yard/crew office for the branch?