Railroad Forums 

• Women in the railroad industry

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#178988  by gojoe19

I'm at the end of the conductor training program at NARS. I have three women in my class that have done just as well as any of the guys including the tasks at the yard. I can't speak to how well they do on the job when hired, but my current instructor is a woman who's railroad knowledge, and experience is very extensive and at the yard she called us men sissy's. She's been a conductor, engineer, trainmaster, and now an instructor. She not only instructs us, but tests current TY&E employees throughout BNSF. If you have the same level of commitment and abilities, there no reason you couldn't be successfull. Not to step on any toes, but to the other gentlemen who gave examples of why women aren't cut out for it, you can't tell me you haven't encountered just as many wimpy, lazy, or otherwise unfit men for the job.

#180372  by westernrrtx

I have to agree completly with the last post. I am a class one railroad engineer 26 years now. I started my railroad carrer in 1972 as a track man, worked as switchman / brakeman on a short line railroad , and became an engineer in 1979.

I believe not having many female employees in opperations is a poor practice on the part of the railroad industry. I might remind folks here that sexual discimination is illegal. I would encourage any women interested in railroad employment to pursue it and have your eyes wide open.

#180557  by BR&P

I have known many males who just could not get the hang of railroading. Some of them quickly decided it was not for them and left, others are working to this day causing stress and strain for their fellow employees. So it's not just a male-female thing.

And a number of years ago I was doing some work at a regional and had occasion to ride with a female engineer. She had about 30 loads and something like 14 miles of significant downhill. She made one reduction, used the throttle to compensate for slight increases and decreases in grade, and didn't vary her speed more than a couple MPH from the posted speed. No slack action, no problems. I realize 30 cars isn't the same as 130, but I firmly believe she would have done just as well if it HAD been 130. And the guys there told me she was fantastic at reading a switch list and planning moves the days she worked the ground. I hear she's still at it, good for her!

Some folks "get it" some don't - both genders.

#180829  by freshmeat

I have to agree with everything on this page. I have worked with women who could switch circles around me and do a switch list in their head. I've also worked with women hogheads who were great at running. By the same token, I've worked with come men that have trouble finding the yard and other who bang the train around from slack action and train handling.

This is a real funny job, it doesn't discriminate. It will weed out those that have it and those that don't regardless of gender. True equality in pay, performance, benefits and maybe advancement. More women should look at the railroad.

#181060  by Engineer Spike

Lily,
There were some things here that I think are not correct. There were other questions that were not answered.
First, I work for a regional railroad. It is part of a class 1 system. I usually work the spare list. This means that I cover extra jobs. I also cover for someone who took time off. I could hold a regular job, I do have enough seniority. Ilike the variaty, and the pay. Someone said that a class 1 will not let you have time off. This is not true. The people who say this are usually the ones who try to take time off when things are busy.
Most road runs on a class 1 are about 100-250 miles. The crew usually stays over, then returns. I have been out for a week on pusher engines (pushing heavy trains uphill), and on work trains.
An engineer or conductor needs to quallify on the line. She needs to know all of the speeds, signals crossings, and hills.
Yes the engines are sometimes dirty and loud. Someone said that the toilets are dirty. This person does not know the newest Federal inspection regulations. A unit can be refused for a dirty toilet.
I have worked with some good ladies. I have also worked with some who weren't.
Just remember, the railroad is not just a job, but a lifestyle!

#183902  by conrail_engineer

Engineer Spike wrote: Yes the engines are sometimes dirty and loud. Someone said that the toilets are dirty. This person does not know the newest Federal inspection regulations. A unit can be refused for a dirty toilet.
Yep, that's what they say.

Some of the ex-Cons, the guys on what is the former Conrail, can tell you what happens when you try to refuse a unit for a toilet slopping over.

Sometimes you'll get a can of Lysol and direct orders to take the unit. Or a cleaning kit from the janitor's closet and get directed to hop to it.

If you refuse, you're taken aside and your books given a through going-over. Your safety gear is checked...one guy was taken out of service in this way, for his shoes...which were company issue.

The standards mean NOTHING to the company. If you stand your ground, you better be a brother-in-law of the Local Chairman. Because that's the only way he'll back you.

The pay is good. The job, when it goes like it's supposed to, is kinda fun. But you're going to be forever the meat in someone else's sandwich.