Railroad Forums 

• 15-18 boxcars being stored at Port Morris?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#182195  by njt4172

A friend of mine posted a picture to me of a string of box cars and covered hoppers sitting near Sussex Jct. which is near NJT's Port Morris yard western end....Anyone know why NS is storing them there?? Is there a lack of space at Chester Jct. and Dover? Seems like an increase in freight traffic...

Thanks,
Steve
 #182337  by washingtonsecondary

njt4172 wrote:A friend of mine posted a picture to me of a string of box cars and covered hoppers sitting near Sussex Jct. which is near NJT's Port Morris yard western end....Anyone know why NS is storing them there?? Is there a lack of space at Chester Jct. and Dover? Seems like an increase in freight traffic...

Thanks,
Steve
Increasing traffic may be the case, though H02 is still 10 or 11 cars when I see it coming home from Washington. They had stored 3 or 4 high sided gondolas there last week, I saw them while on the train to Denville. Later that week they were on H02 heading east back to Dover from Washington.
 #182346  by njt4172

washingtonsecondary wrote:
njt4172 wrote:A friend of mine posted a picture to me of a string of box cars and covered hoppers sitting near Sussex Jct. which is near NJT's Port Morris yard western end....Anyone know why NS is storing them there?? Is there a lack of space at Chester Jct. and Dover? Seems like an increase in freight traffic...

Thanks,
Steve
Increasing traffic may be the case, though H02 is still 10 or 11 cars when I see it coming home from Washington. They had stored 3 or 4 high sided gondolas there last week, I saw them while on the train to Denville. Later that week they were on H02 heading east back to Dover from Washington.
Okay! Thanks friend!

#182421  by washingtonsecondary

Send me the picture, I'd like to see it.

#182689  by NYSW13000

Just spotted the cars. They have been moved to Washington, Nj. They were tied down there.

#182771  by Al Holleuffer

The freight cars seen at Port Morris were apparently left there because NS H-02 did not continue on to Washington for some reason that first day. I recall that rail conditions were very slippery that day due to the rain and fallen leaves. I experienced a lot of high speed wheel slippage that day on Trains 871 and 1020 and I only had two cars! Next time I talk to the Engineer on the job who is a personal friend of mine I will ask him the details.

The highside N&W gondolas were inbound loads of concret ties for NJ Transit and were offloaded there and larter tensferred to one of their ex-TTX 86ft. work flatcars for movement to Brick Church. Port Morris Yard and specifacally Sussex Branch Jct., as the material tracks are called, is NJT's track and bridge departments' storage area. Concret ties are being installed on all three tracks at Brick Church and East Orange as part of the station refurbishments ongoing at these two locations. It is also probably in preparation for the eventual replacement of all wooded ties on this stretch of line in the future. Around platforms and other close clearance places this must be done in advance of the tie changing trains as it can't work in close quarters like those.
 #182847  by NYSW13000

washingtonsecondary wrote:

Thanks,
Steve
Are you sure they were high sided? I remember last month there were three NS gondolas sitting at Port Morris yard at Sussex Jct. I remember there was a NS waffle sided gondola, a NW rib sided gondola, and a CR rib sided gondola. But they were regular 50 foot gondolas.