Railroad Forums 

• Better Transit Without Trolleys Official Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#18251  by NealG

The MBTA is not a state agency, it is a publicly-owned corporation. It has inherited all the rights and obligations of the Boston Elevated Railway and other street railway companies. It also has unlimited liability, unlike state agencies.
The MBTA as an agency, incorporated as a body politic, similar in legal status to municipalities, is under the juristiction of the Executive office of Transportation and Construction. Bodies politic, constitutionally, are not liable to each other (I.E. taxation, zoning, by-laws etc.).

http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/gl-161A-toc.htm

#18277  by JayZ

I don't understand these arguments, really. It seems strange to me.

Breakdowns? Busses break down about 60% more than trolleys. Especially with the way the T maintains their bus fleet. And a 60 foot articulated bus will create even more of an obstruction than a broken down trolley. Plus, to move the broken bus out of the way, you'd have to fix it in place (it's too large to put on a tow truck!), and that takes time. Removing a broken trolley is a matter of minutes; the trolley behind it can push it out of the way. I've seen it happen a few times on the other surface lines.
Not to mention that in times of snow, busses are immediately disabled. Trolleys are not.

As for eliminating the parking spaces to create "suitable loading areas"... this is not a matter or Trolley transportation but a matter of the excessive safety regulations in this country. Why?! So many cities all over the world have trolley systems that are completely street-running, and no-one gets killed or injured getting off a trolley. Big deal, they're acting like people are gonna be forced to get off in the middle of a four-lane interstate highway... Come on. People are getting off and on just fine on the street-running portion of the E line. I say just restore the line to the way it was, without platforms for stations.

#18278  by typesix

The 15 mph rule was definitely not followed when Arborway line was running. Only in congested areas was the speed anywhere near 15 mph. Otherwise the trolleys ran just as fast as autos. The new running speeds will likely be slower when Arborway eventually reopens due to slower service brakes on current streetcars, requiring operators to leave a greater buffer space between them and autos.

#18326  by CS

But it won't eliminate on street parking. There was on street parking in 1985 and although the trolleys are a little longer, they are no wider, in fact the 60ft artics are wider.

#18391  by CS

Well I would like to thank you all for your post, but the Guest Series is over. I would like to thank all of the railfans for being professional and I would especially like to that Paul from BTWT for putting up with us and you are welcome to continue to post. Thanks and remember... it's a series...