Railroad Forums 

• Perth Amboy Branch Service Reactivation

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#178895  by E-44

nick11a wrote:
He's a good mayor who seems genuinely interested in the town as he grew up in it (actully, Voss was in my uncle's same high school class.) As far as politicians go, he ain't bad.
Personally, I think Joe Vas has done a terriffic job in Perth Amboy under very difficult economic circumstances. I think he's been the best mayor in decades. I too have a relative who was in Joe's class and he has always spoken well of him.
 #178960  by nick11a

E-44 wrote:
nick11a wrote:
He's a good mayor who seems genuinely interested in the town as he grew up in it (actully, Voss was in my uncle's same high school class.) As far as politicians go, he ain't bad.
Personally, I think Joe Vas has done a terriffic job in Perth Amboy under very difficult economic circumstances. I think he's been the best mayor in decades. I too have a relative who was in Joe's class and he has always spoken well of him.
Yes he has. I see I spelled his name wrong too. Well, I grew up in Perth Amboy and lived in it during its not so great years and it is great to see the improvements that have been made thanks to him. I hear he's running for congressman now or something like that.

#179091  by Sir Ray

E-44 wrote:I am told "unofficially" by another source that nothing is being done or planned to preclude rail service along Industrial Ave. for any of the new or rehabilitated properties. Continuation and even expansion of rail service is in the master area plan.
Well, I guess that's somewhat good (or at least better than a kick in the head, which is what we always used to get in Conrail days), but still it'd be really interesting if that huge corner window was instead a freight door (although since this distribution centre will probably have several tenants, and so rail access via a series of loading door at the back [long axis] would probably be more likely if it happens at all).
I am a bit skeptical, as several large distribution centres were build in nearby Heller Industrial park over the past decade, and they certainly preclude rail access even though such access would have been fairly easy and probably inexpensive (indeed, haven't a few such buildings been built in the northern area of Raritan Center in the past few years, in areas where the only rail access is a line drawn on my old Hagstrom Atlas).
I know they can build centres with rail access - they did last year on the south side Greenville yard in Jersey City.
Just wish they would...

#179105  by Jtgshu

I wish they did at the two big warehouse things they built on the Coast Line near the Woodbridge/Perth Amboy border - but no rail access - i guess it could be added in teh future, but I doubt it.

#179282  by E-44

Jtgshu wrote:I wish they did at the two big warehouse things they built on the Coast Line near the Woodbridge/Perth Amboy border - but no rail access - i guess it could be added in teh future, but I doubt it.
Yeah, but they may be out of business once traffic across AK gets rolling. Nobody wants more trucks on the Outerbridge any more than on the Goethals. Perth Amboy will positively crack down on trucks coming down local streets - that's been on the record - so as not to ruin the Landings development that stretches toward the Chem Coast.

And with gasoline (and trucking costs) going permanently higher, what's a few bucks for laying down a few panels and a switch?

Start your "higher education" yet, JT?