Railroad Forums 

• What's the longest time you had to ride a cut -backwards?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#174158  by CSX Conductor

Yeah, watching it now.,,,but haven't seen the movie.

#174163  by SteelWheels21

Get HBO, it's on twice a day at least. Very funny flick.

Here's a question for you east coast guys...is it true that some of you get paid extra for riding the point on a shove past a certain distance? Out here BNSF has shove cars for its crews on the long locals and we have one or two, but I've never heard of extra pay for riding here.

#174222  by CSX Conductor

Yes SteelWheels. We get 2 hours pay for riding the side of a car for a continous mile in lieu of a caboose in excess of a mile. :-)

I have had many a day where I have gotten 4 shoves a day. :-D

#174235  by GOLDEN-ARM

CSX wrote:
Yes SteelWheels. We get 2 hours pay for riding the side of a car for a continous mile in lieu of a caboose in excess of a mile.

I have had many a day where I have gotten 4 shoves a day.
$$$CHA-CHING$$$ :-D

#174288  by Aji-tater

Is that 2 hours a "once per shift" thing or do you get that each time you do it? In other words can you get multiple 2-hour arbitrarys in one tour of duty?

#174604  by steam371

"Cracking the whip", thats a good one,nothing worse than that, besides riding a center beam or those damn ladders with rungs that stick out 2 inches, no freaking foot room!!

#175044  by CSX Conductor

Aji-tater, it is 2 hours per shove.

I have had many nights where I get 4 different shoves in one night, nice $$$, eh?
 #175097  by freightguy

Wow that is cool. I had a buddy that worked for Shared Assets in Northern NJ. He said that the old timers would get that shove pay on some of those high paying local jobs but not himself. Imagine getting that on top of outlawing on a daily basis. Conrail had some really high paying jobs before this CSX/NS debacle. I wish we had more things like in place instead of a flat daily rate. Where I work there is virtually no scope roles.

#175576  by CSX Engineer 98

Longest shove for me is when I worked for the Bay Colony Railroad before they were allowed to Interchange in the Conrail Middleboro Yard. We had to shove from the Capeway Main at Semass to "BAY" 9 or 10 miles...Without any special pay in pitchblack Darkness.