Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific training classes: What to expect

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#4276  by conductorforlife

Has anyone gone thur UP's training classes lately? If so can you tell me what to except in class, after class, when class ends and the on the job training starts?

Thanks in advance for the info.
 #4301  by LCJ

The training is 18 days in length -- three weeks of Monday thru Saturday. Topics you must become proficient in are GCOR (General Code of Operating Rules, including System Special Instructions and signals), Air Brake functions and rules, Hazardous Materials rules and procedures, and last but definitely not least, Safety rules. There are also field exercises wherein students must demonstrate a level of knowledge and ability.

There are quizzes for most sections of the material. These quizzes do not count against you, but records of scores are kept. There are final exams in most major sections. You have two chances to pass these exams. A second failure for any one of them as the class progresses means you go home. Second attempts must be taken first thing the next day after an exam failure (<85%). The last Saturday consists of an overall GCOR final.

The pace is very rigorous. Students who do not read well will have a difficult time. Students who do not spend time every evening studying the material and doing homework will not do well, either. Students who decide to go out and party every night will most likely fail.

Students who work in study groups in which students rigorously quiz each other tend to do much better. Learning signals is a daunting task -- especially if you have no prior knowledge, or if you refuse to "drill" frequently with a partner on them using the flash cards provided.

OJT begins immediately after the class ends. If you pass your last final on the last Saturday, you will probably report for OJT on Monday.
 #4718  by outdoorbob

Having gone through a number of railroad training classes including the U.P.'s I would agree with LCJ's assesment. There's no problem completing the classes if you spend 2-3 hours a night studying, if you party you're all done (unless you have a photographic memory of course). One additional comment I would make is; after you start the OJT go back at least once everyday and read something in the printed material pertaining to the assignment you worked on that day (or night). Too many "FNG's" put the book learning out of their heads when they start OJT and that's a mistake, you need ALL the rules to do the job right (and not get killed or hurt), unless you're already a "rail" then you know this from experience. Good luck.
 #5021  by conductorforlife

Everyone has been so helpful on these boards and it is very much appreicated.
 #5054  by LCJ

I agree with outdoorbob. Become "intimate" with your job. Learn those rules!

#175023  by rhallanger

bump