Railroad Forums 

• 4 Wheelin' on the Wharton and Northern

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#174311  by mikedc3

Today, We went 4 wheeling in Rockaway by the Splitrock and Charlotteburgh Reservoir's Some of the trails here are the former WnN ROW. You can drive on part of the original line to Green Pond Jct and the new line to "new" GPJ. I have been over most of this line before but today, We found a new way to get to part of the line that has always been closed off. This part runs between Jacobs and Green Pond Rd. There is was also a branch line off the WnN here that ran to some mines way, way back in the past. I'm going to go back in winter and follow this branch line too.

Pics:

Part of the relocated line, Charlotteburgh Reservoir to the left.

Rock slide on the new line:

Pretty big washout. This wasn't like this last year. This is on the original part of the line:

It was a bit tricky getting through here but fun!!!

The only structure left on the ROW. A bridge made from cut stone, concrete, and old, old rails:

A deep cut on the part of the line I had never been on before. Green Pond Rd is straight ahead:

This is the ROW of the branch that ran to the mines, I can't wait to follow this line:

#174425  by nick11a

Great photos as usual! Looks like you had a lot of fun.

#174443  by CarterB

Super photos and info!!

Any 'real' probs using your SUV over the ROW? I would love to join you sometime when you go over the mine/s branch.
 #174447  by henry6

How things change. I rode that same ROW about five or so years after abandonment in my father's Lincoln town car!!!!

#174590  by CGRLCDR

Great pictures, Mike! I've been 4 wheeling and mountain biking back there a few times - most recently this past August. Did you ever notice how many abandoned/old car and truck wrecks there are along the trail? I think a lot of people have tried exploring in there in the family vehicle and found they couldn't get out.

Did you see all of the foundations along the ROW just before the Charlotteburg Reservoir? It looks like there was a village or town in there at one time. Maybe it was a small mining community.

Me and some of my jeep buddies are planning a trip in there this weekend, although I don't know how the trails will be after all this rain. I'll bring my digital camera and take some pictures also.

Chuck G

#174668  by Lackawanna484

CGRLCDR wrote:Great pictures, Mike! I've been 4 wheeling and mountain biking back there a few times - most recently this past August. Did you ever notice how many abandoned/old car and truck wrecks there are along the trail? I think a lot of people have tried exploring in there in the family vehicle and found they couldn't get out.

Did you see all of the foundations along the ROW just before the Charlotteburg Reservoir? It looks like there was a village or town in there at one time. Maybe it was a small mining community.

Me and some of my jeep buddies are planning a trip in there this weekend, although I don't know how the trails will be after all this rain. I'll bring my digital camera and take some pictures also.

Chuck G
There were two small hamlets relocated when the reservoir was constructed. The Krause NYSW book mentions them, I think.

There was a pretty substantial village out in the Boonton Res as well. When the level went way down during one of the droughts, some of the foundations became visible for a while