Railroad Forums 

• M&E 19 at Hoboken Terminal

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#174124  by pgengler

On my way out of Hoboken on the HBLR today, I noticed that M&E #19 was parked in the yard (near the south side, closer to the terminal than to the tunnels). At least, I think it was M&E ... i only saw a red-painted engine with the number 19, as it was behind a couple of sets of NJT cars.

Does anyone know what the engine was doing here? It seems a little out of place to me.

#174132  by njtmnrrbuff

I will be there tommorow because I will be heading down to the CNJ festival. I am giving my camera a rest due to the inclemate weather and the fact that it will need all of its energy on the cab unit fantrip.

#174188  by Sirsonic

The M&E will occasionally send locomotives to NJT to have the wheels cut on the wheel machine. Only the Hoboken wheel machine is used for locomotives, as well as cars, although there is also one in the MMC. Once finished, NJT will move it to the MMC to be picked up by the M&E.

#174273  by njtmnrrbuff

I indeed saw the alco. It was right by where the HBLRT terminal is.

#174319  by mountie17

Hopefully it'll still be there Monday morning so i can get some pictures of it. :-)

#174334  by pgengler

mountie17 wrote:Hopefully it'll still be there Monday morning so i can get some pictures of it. :-)
It's in a spot where it's pretty much impossible to get a good shot (except, perhaps, from the window of a passing HBLR train). It's far enough away from the platforms (of the terminal and the HBLR) to make a good shot hard, and also behind a small building. Not to mention the cars around it. The only way to get a shot of it, unless it's been moved to somewhere else, involves some pretty blatant trespassing, which is a Really Bad Idea.