Railroad Forums 

• So, You Want to Work on the RR? Part II

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#174150  by shortlinerailroader

I love making up my train quickly and safely and seeing what a good, fast job I did. I, along with Steelwheels, enjoy when the dispatcher is on the ball and I flawlessly take down and repeat the track warrant. I like pulling off the branch and onto the main. The sound of our 567s reverberates off the trees lining the track as we accalerate out of town to 55mph (60 on the way back with loads). I like looking back at my train, too, and when the detector says "no defects".

On our branches I love stopping for bacon egg and cheese biscuits or other nourishment and, while others are returning to mere road-bound cars, trucks and SUVs, I get to climb aboard a hulking train and go barking away as school-bound children stare from parents' vehicles.

Oh..and payday is not bad, either.

#174191  by Jim Greenwood

SteelWheels21 wrote:We had a three hour safety briefing at a red block last night. Of course it would have been more enjoyable if I wasn't hanging halfway out my window gasping for cool air on account of the hog having the heat cranked up.

What is it with you engineers? Are you cold blooded and need the heat to survive?
Perhaps we're not "manly men" like you rough-tough trainmen. :wink:

#174245  by SteelWheels21

Hey, I appreciate a wine cooler and a good cry every now and then, don't paint me in that "tough guy" category.

#174257  by Jim Greenwood

SteelWheels21 wrote:Hey, I appreciate a wine cooler and a good cry every now and then, don't paint me in that "tough guy" category.
I'll gladly refrain from putting you in the "tough guy" category. Now, how about not putting all engineers in the "needing the heat to survive category?"

#174261  by thebigc

Remember: Iron men and wooden boxcars!

First told to me by an Erie switchman.

#174264  by Jim Greenwood

thebigc wrote:Remember: Iron men and wooden boxcars!

First told to me by an Erie switchman.
Or, to borrow a phrase from the sailors, "iron men and wooden ships."