Railroad Forums 

• Question (Again) on UP Hiring Session

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#173053  by buddy5050

I have been working as a contract engineer for the last 4 years (I&O, Portland Western, CSX, RailAmerica). I have been invited to a UP Hiring Session in Utah and am wondering if the format is still the same as it was 2 years ago. (Rules test and comprehension, physical test, interview etc.)I like contracting but am getting weary of the time away from home. Last year I was on the gone 48 weeks.

#173216  by hooked up

I can only speak for last April, and at that time it was just as you describe it. Best of luck. :wink:

#173995  by rhallanger

I went to a hiring session for Train Service last week.

Job brieifing - rules/reading comprehension test - interview.

If you pass test and interview you receive a call a day or two later asking you to come back to fill out more forms.

You fill out the forms and they schedule you for a PAT (Physical Abilities Test) the same day for the out-of-towners or within 3 - 5 days for the locals at a local Occupational Health/Physical Therapy Clinic.

You go home and you schedule your Physical at a UP designated Occupational Clinic that is closest to your home town (a bit different than the PAT).

Nobody had to do a physical abilities test before or after the test (i.e. situps, etc.). All of the Physical Ability testing is job related and tests strength on some sort of univeral testing machine. The tests are job related, ie. grip strength to see if you can undo an air hose. Hanging on a simulated side of a railcar for 3 minutes. Pulling up to simulate throwing a switchstand, etc. About 12 tests in all.

#173997  by rhallanger

I went to a hiring session for Train Service last week.

Job briefing - rules/reading comprehension test - interview.

If you pass test and interview you receive a call a day or two later asking you to come back to fill out more forms.

You fill out the forms and they schedule you for a PAT (Physical Abilities Test) the same day for the out-of-towners or within 3 - 5 days for the locals at a local Occupational Health/Physical Therapy Clinic.

You go home and you schedule your Physical at a UP designated Occupational Clinic that is closest to your home town (a bit different than the PAT).

Nobody had to do a physical abilities test before or after the test (i.e. situps, etc.). All of the Physical Ability testing is job related and tests strength on some sort of univeral testing machine. The tests are job related, ie. grip strength to see if you can undo an air hose. Hanging on a simulated side of a railcar for 3 minutes. Pulling up to simulate throwing a switchstand, etc. About 12 tests in all.