• NYA GP38-2's comming!!!

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by Knife-Switch

Where'd they get the idea for 271.....HMMMMMMM

by SwitchMonkey

The Workers wrote:I hear that "Walthers" may be releasing an HO scale "built up" structure of NYA's world headquarters. Complete with rotted front steps, golf balls and dented up vehicles. :P
Hmm, I'm sure some super detailer kit will come up with the golf ball holes, the new lime green track check vehicle and an eensy weensy cell phone that will come shooting out of the window of the Tactial Operations Center (can't call it a tower any more).

by BMT

Don't worry TK lady liberty will be back in about a year or so. The maintenance forces(Ha,Ha) will be at with the pressure washer and blow that Home Depot forest green right off.
I thought it was an 'Earl Schieb' job? :wink:

by paulrail

Now that I have my NY&A GP38-2s to go with my 3 P&W engines, what should I get for "stone cars" to make up a prototypical trainset for my model railroad? Are the stone cars actually high side gons?

Any help would be great,....i.e. model, manufacturer, price etc.

Thanks-

Paul

by emfinite

Walthers makes Florida East Coast ortner hoppers... you could just buy 40 of them and paint over the FEC lettering.

Joe

by SwitchMonkey

FYI, Willis avenue hobbies is down to the showcase model only. You may only guess how I know that :wink:

by paulrail

I ordered and received (to start with) six of the FEC ortner aggregate cars. :wink:

Has anyone either painted over the FEC white lettering or used a paint remover, such as 91% isopropol alcohol, to remove the lettering?

If one did "paint over" the FEC lettering, what color paint would need to be used to match the color of the cars and who produces it?

Thanks.....

Paul

by LIRRNOVA55

they didnt actually paint over the hole car, just the FEC lettering as seen here. .

my best guess would be to use either a boxcar red of flat red for it.[/img]

by John 61

I would use any red that is close to the original shade. It will make the model look more protypical. I have some Walthers Ballast Hoppers that were lettered BN. I just painted over the letters and numbers in a similar shade ( Tuscan Red in this case) and applied new letters and numbers to make them into LIRR Ballast Hoppers.
I just bought the NYA 271 model also. Seems they made the mural larger then the original and the "NYA" logos on the cab and nose smaller then the real ones. I'll add a new horn,antenna, hoses and ditch lights to it. The trucks and fuel tank need to be slightly weathered also. Last winter I took one of my photos of 271 and photoshopped the photo. I worked on the mural and did some decal testing of it. That's as far as I got. Thanks Athearn, you made my life easier. See the results below.
3 Guys Hobbies in Smithtown has two of these #271 models in stock.