Railroad Forums 

• Tracks leading off of main line in rutherford

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#173244  by Steve F45

Ok there is a set of tracks that seem to spur off the main line. The main line goes up north and these continue along i forget what road. They cross river rd in wallington i believe along an old warehouse/factory then over the passaic river. The bridge is still there i believe. What tracks were these?
 #173283  by n01jd1

2005Vdub wrote:Ok there is a set of tracks that seem to spur off the main line. The main line goes up north and these continue along i forget what road. They cross river rd in wallington i believe along an old warehouse/factory then over the passaic river. The bridge is still there i believe. What tracks were these?
That is the former Erie Main Line that once went through Passaic and Paterson. It was severed in the 1960's when the strech through Passaic was abandoned and the Main Line realligned to connect with the former Lackawanna Boonton Line east of Paterson to form the "New Main Line". The bridge across the Passaic River is long gone and the line was renamed the Carlton Hill branch. It hosted a shuttle passenger train to the end of track to the Carlton Hill station untill 1966. There was freight activity on the branch untill the 1990's. The line has been dormant for some time now and Rutherford wants to convert it into a hiking/bike trail.

#173291  by Irish Chieftain

I've often wondered what the old Main Line would have been like today if they had elevated it over Main Avenue in Passaic and through Carlton Hill, instead of keeping it as a dead "spur". Something like the LIRR's Atlantic Avenue branch, which also ran in the center of the road once...?

The Carlton Hill line was part of the original route of the Paterson & Hudson River RR, IIRC, which along with the Paterson and Ramapo was acquired by the Erie to create a shorter route to the waterfront across from Manhattan when it proved to be unfeasible to cross the Hudson at Piermont and approach NYC from the north.

#173456  by Steve F45

Interesting. If the bridge is gone, then what is the one bridge that goes over the passaic and into kearny. I saw it today when i came back from returning my stuff to njtp.

#173472  by JLo

That's the ex-Boonton Line of NJT. It was rendered unnecessary by the Montclair Connection, and NS, which owns it, has few customers on it left. It was formerly the Erie's Greenwood Lake line, I believe.

#173474  by BlockLine_4111

There are two, both ex-ERIE, and OOS (out of service).

One is the ex-NY&GL / NJT Boonton Line (between West Arlington section of Kearny and North Newark).

Other is the ex-Newark Branch w/bridge in elevated position further to the south but before the ex-DL&W / NJT M&E commuter line.

#173495  by Lackawanna484

Irish Chieftain wrote:I've often wondered what the old Main Line would have been like today if they had elevated it over Main Avenue in Passaic and through Carlton Hill, instead of keeping it as a dead "spur". Something like the LIRR's Atlantic Avenue branch, which also ran in the center of the road once...?
It would have been a very expensive project for a financially troubled rail line, and NJ was willing to blow off service to several low traffic branches (Wanaque, Northern, West Shore, Suskie, Caldwell, Newton, etc) in lieu of a modest train subsidy. I can't see anybody investing in a plan to benefit Passaic in 1966, sad as that sounds.

#173500  by BlockLine_4111

Always wondered if the Suskie could have economized by running out of Hoboken (w/new or modified connectors) and terminating in Wanaque (w/new or modified connectors) pre-1966. Sharing infrastructure at both ends of the line w/EL.

Also wondered about the WS. Maybe economized by running out of Hoboken (w/new or modified connectors) and terminating in Spring Valley (w/new or modified connectors) pre-1966. Sharing infrastructure at both end of the line w/EL.

#173510  by sullivan1985

The tracks you saw shoot off the Bergen County Line is the Carlton Hill Spur, the remains of the former Erie Main Line left on the east side of the Passaic River. The other half of the remains are located in Clifton and Paterson and is known as the Passaic Branch and are sometimes used by NS to store cars. The missing part in the middle used to run directly up the middle of Main Street Passaic, but was ripped out by the EL in April of 1963 in favor of re-routing the Main Line over the former DL&W Boonton Line removing Rutherford Junction and having the lines split at West End instead.

The last service the Carlton Hill Spur saw was in 1992 when Conrail retrieved the last two tanks of food oils from Delsaco Food in East Rutherford located all the way at the end of the spur about 100ft from where BE Draw used to carry the trakcs into Passaic Park (now gone, replaced with Condos and Rt. 21). I watched that last train cross Jackson Ave with a long-hood forward GP38.

The Last passenger service on the line was in the 1960's when the EL ran small train between Hoboken, Rutherford and Carlton Hill, but that operation was costly and very involved.

Involved meaning that one train would come in from Hoboken, then the engine would disconnect from the train on the WB track, run down to Rutherford Junction by BJ Tower on the EB track, and run back up the line on the WB track to the coaches, reconnect and run back to Hoboken. This was done 4 times a day, twice in the morning and twice at night. After a few years of trying to maintain passenger service to Carlton Hill, the EL cut it and left the line intact for local freight to drill C.H. Frommer (still standing - in the process of being ripped down) and Royce Chemical (gone) in and out from Croxton. Remember, this was before the U34CH's and Push-Pull commuter trains. If they had been available at this time, the Carlton Hill Spur passenger service may have survived a little longer. Something similar to the Dinky in Princeton.

It was then stripped to one track sometime in the late 70's, as was the BCL from 4 tracks to 2 tracks between HX and Rutherford Junction (BJ Tower was also boarded up around this time, but has since been reopened as a MOW shed), and last used in 1992.

Now and then NJT will store some MOW units on it down by the Rutherford Park & Ride, and I once say a Conrail drill back onto it to escape the rush hour (I think, it was a long time ago, maybe 1996). NS still has stickers on the Jackson/Carlton Ave crossing, but most of the line is buried or heavily overgrow.

As for that crossing, in the summer of 2004, it malfunctioned and the gates dropped about 50% and backed up traffic for hours. Since then, the gates no longer have arms, and the crossing is mostly buried.

Wouldn't it be nice if in NJT's plan book, there was a project to re-instate passenger service on the former Erie Main through Passaic? It's been discussed here before about elevated ROW, or just buying out the property and rebuilding the original way the Erie had it, but that's never gonna happen, unfortunately. It would probably do Passaic some good.

As for the bridges, the other bridges you saw where WR Draw, part of the former Erie NYGL Branch which the DL&W Boonton Line was re-routed over in 1963 and converted from a passenger line to a heavy freight line, but that's a whole different thread right there. It was last used as NJT's Boonton Line which was re-routed over the Montclair Branch as part of the Montclair Connection project of 2002. The blue one is Lyndhurst Draw, part of NJT's Main Line (The re-routed original Main Line).

Confused, you might be... If you want anymore info, just let me know :-).
Last edited by sullivan1985 on Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#173515  by n01jd1

sullivan1985 wrote:The other half of the remains are located in Clifton and Paterson and is known as the Passaic Branch and are sometimes used by NS to store cars.
There is still a customer, I believe it is General Foods that recieve a large quantity of covered hoppers in Clifton near the end of track. You can see the covered hoppers parked when you go under the former Erie main on RT46. NS services them several times a week.

#173516  by sullivan1985

n01jd1 wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:The other half of the remains are located in Clifton and Paterson and is known as the Passaic Branch and are sometimes used by NS to store cars.
There is still a customer, I believe it is General Foods that recieve a large quantity of covered hoppers in Clifton near the end of track. You can see the covered hoppers parked when you go under the former Erie main on RT46. NS services them several times a week.
Right! Accidentally found them once while looking for remains of the Erie on the west side of the river. When does NS drill this branch. I would love to see some activity there!

#173552  by Lackawanna484

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Always wondered if the Suskie could have economized by running out of Hoboken (w/new or modified connectors) and terminating in Wanaque (w/new or modified connectors) pre-1966. Sharing infrastructure at both ends of the line w/EL.

Also wondered about the WS. Maybe economized by running out of Hoboken (w/new or modified connectors) and terminating in Spring Valley (w/new or modified connectors) pre-1966. Sharing infrastructure at both end of the line w/EL.
That Hoboken access was always a problem for Erie's Northern line and the Suskie. Because the access line to West end and the connector was on the other side of Croxton, the two east side lines would have had to
1) make a complex reverse move through the yard to Harmon Cove, or
2) build a new diagonal track across the yard's throat to the connector, or
3) make a deal with the Central to run down the old River Line to Hoboken and up at Grove tower

easier to keep running them into Pavonia Jersey City for a while and then cut them off

#173577  by timz

But the Northern trains did run into Hoboken, didn't they, for their last seven years or whatever?