Railroad Forums 

• Thoughts from other railroaders please.

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#169213  by Jim Greenwood

When you're cleared through the limits of a Form-B, (GCOR) Planned Work, (CNIC) and the eastern equivalent, (NORAC) and you're delayed in the siding for a meet, do you contact the foreman again before departing ? I'm sure we all agree it's a good policy to do this. (CYA)
Search as I might, I can find no requirement in the book re: this situation.

#169234  by SRS125

In general I have heard many crews call whom ever is in charge of the work area or the dispatcher befor departing from where ever they are siting. Might be somthing that some crews pass on in case smebody forgets that there is a train siting there.
Last edited by SRS125 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #169656  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Mr. Greenwood,

Just passed our operating rules test and have been studying alot lately to get ready for it. I have checked our CSX rule books and cannot find anything either. But you stated it right from an old railhead like yourself----------CYA!!!!!!

Nashvillie Newbie

#169970  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm with you on this one, Jim. This was a daily occurance, on the UP Houston service unit, while running to Victoria, or Angleton. I might get held at every siding, or CP in a 10 mile long work limit. Even though you do have permission, and you have not cleared the foreman yet, I will always give 'em a "heads-up", if I am delayed while trying to get through the limits. One of those "gray areas", that I'm sure the carriers will use, to bite you in the butt, if you stubbed your toe, even though there is no specific rule, covering this example of "delayed in a block". Regards :-D

#169977  by Jim Greenwood

There's a reason why we're (TY&E) the only craft on the railroad that requires shove-out insurance! :(

#169994  by Guest

I don't know of any reason why you would be required to contact the foreman - if you have permission through, you have permission through. If you get held up someplace, the foreman should hear it on the radio. Also, when you approach the worksite you should be making noise anyhow...but it certainly would be a courtesy to let 'em know. No NORAC rule that I know of though.

-r

#170023  by SteelWheels21

I tend to agree with razor on this one. If you're stopped in the middle of the form B, it's not like the crew is going to forget you're there. As stated, you're supposed to make noise for them coming through, and you're also supposed to whistle off when you get your authority to come out of the siding. I would probably still do it as a courtesy to the track crew, but I don't think there is a hard rule that mandates it.

#170066  by blippo

We contact them again if we stop in their limits. If we anticipate stopping to meet another train, we ask them permission to pull without calling them, incase we are stopped.

#173152  by BlackDog

I asked this very question the last time I was at re-cert. I was told "No". If they have spoken to you, they know you are there. If I'm pulling in for a meet and the other train isn't there, I'll tell the foreman that we are making a meet, but the company said that after the meet, if I have been told "You may procede through my limits, passing red flag at...yaddayaddayadda" then no we don't have to re-contact them.