Railroad Forums 

• Florida keys to Maine Greenway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#172467  by njt4172

There was an article in the Star-Ledger yesterday about a proposed NJ Greenway bicycle trail that will pass through the NJ kearny meadows....One of the spots they want to use is the old Boonton line through DB bridge....There was a picture of a father and son tresspassing near the bridge...They would like to get the bridge to stay closed to complete the trail......!

If anyone can find the article online I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Steve
 #172947  by Ken W2KB

njt4172 wrote:There was an article in the Star-Ledger yesterday about a proposed NJ Greenway bicycle trail that will pass through the NJ kearny meadows....One of the spots they want to use is the old Boonton line through DB bridge....There was a picture of a father and son tresspassing near the bridge...They would like to get the bridge to stay closed to complete the trail......!

If anyone can find the article online I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Steve
Seeing as the bridge is over a navigable waterway, that will not happen. The alternate route would be to follow the former PSCNJ trolley line private right of way from Harrison to the mentioned Wittpenn bridge (which still bears evidence of the trolley infrastructure) and thence to the tunnels. Minimal city streets if routed properly.

#173030  by JLo

Even better, Wittpenn is slated for replacement very soon. A bicycle friendly bridge would be easy to accomplish.

#173036  by Sir Ray

JLo wrote:Even better, Wittpenn is slated for replacement very soon. A bicycle friendly bridge would be easy to accomplish.
That would make a lot more sense...is that allowed in Hudson County nowadays? :-)

Heh, remember doing my own 'hiking' tour one day from Journel Square to Harrison along the Harrison/Newark road back in my college days of the '80s - it was a bit harrowing at spots, but great views of Conrail action at Oak Island yard...