Railroad Forums 

• Applying at multiple locations

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#95460  by daybyday

I'm looking to apply for a train service position with both BNSF and UP and they both have several locations that I would be interested in. Does anyone have any advice how to go about doing this? I have filled out an on line application for UP, and it is fairly lengthy. I was wondering if there is an easier way then retyping the same info multiple times.

Has anyone spoke with HR about this or did you just apply multiple times?

Also, does anyone have any info/opinion on which locations are more or less likely to be furloughed?

How did you apply???

Thanks, DBD

#146589  by rhallanger

I also have the same question.

If there are multiple locations, such as with the UP, do you apply for each location?

Aren't you required to wait 6 months between interviews. So if I were to apply for Portola, CA and Roseville, CA and interview in Roseville, would I be prohibited from interviewing for the Portola location for 6 months?

#146771  by daybyday

rhallanger,

I never got a response so I just applied to multiple locations (UP only, no BNSF.) I ended up getting invited to 3 hiring sessions with the UP, but couldn't make them due to timing issues. I was coming from out of state, and got about 4 days notice so airfare was too expensive.

Anyway, I was looking at UPs job website the other day and it looks like you have to create a profile now which might allow you to type all your info once and submit to multiple locations....I'm just guessing about that but I'm not sure though, as I haven't actually done it.

Regarding your question about waiting between interviews, at the bottom of the page with the job description says:

Reapply Policy
Job applicants who have previously attended a hiring session for this position (job title), regardless of geographical location, can only reapply for this same position after a period of six months has passed.

If you were invited for a hiring session and attended but withdrew from the process BEFORE attempting any tests or completing the interview you ARE ELIGIBLE to reapply for the same job within six months.

#146785  by UPRR engineer

daybyday wrote:
Anyway, I was looking at UPs job website the other day and it looks like you have to create a profile now which might allow you to type all your info once and submit to multiple locations....I'm just guessing about that but I'm not sure though, as I haven't actually done it.

If you were invited for a hiring session and attended but withdrew from the process BEFORE attempting any tests or completing the interview you ARE ELIGIBLE to reapply for the same job within six months.
Sorry guys, havent been on much, and or i just skipped over this topic, you answered your own question. Apply every where, if ya get shot down on the 1st spot you have to wait the 6 months even at another location, build a profile.

#147087  by maverick28

I recently accepted a job from the UP a few weeks ago. When I sat in the hiring session the hiring manager made it very clear that the location you applied, interviewed, and took the job at is where you will be stuck working. There were a few people in my hiring session that applied in their home town and the hiring manager told them if they interviewed here then their application would become void in their hometown so those few people withdrew from the hiring session and are hoping to get a chance in their hometown. Basically apply where you really want to work and live, because unlike the BNSF's systemwide seniority, UP seniority is local. Something to think about is all.

#171015  by rhallanger

OK, so if you hire at one location, you can't work another.

That's a little different than I've heard from a friend who works at UP. He told me that you can work anywhere within the Service Unit that your Seniority will hold.

I take that to mean, if they need manpower in Roseville CA and I'm hired out of Sparks NV - if they are both within the same service unit I can be placed on a Roseville pool without a problem.

Anyone know if this info is correct?

#171113  by GOLDEN-ARM

You are correct. If you hire out on any given service unit (Houston, for example), you may, and sometimes will be forced to work, anywhere on the service unit. A Houston employee must protect jobs at Brownsville, Harlingen, Kingsville, Victoria/Bloomington, Eagle Lake, Angleton, Baytown, Spring, Settegast, Beaumont, etc., The carrier can force to protect any of those locations, at anytime. You can also bid on any vacancy, on your service unit. Take the opportunity to hire out ANYWHERE on the service unit that covers a location where you want to work. Seniority being what it is, your day will come, at some point in time. Why pass on the job of a lifetime, just because it's not in the yard, in your hometown? Sounds pretty damned stupid, to me. You wanna be a railroader? Get used to the thought of being property of the carrier, and stop worrying about working where you want. Just get that job, and move where you need to be, down the road. I laugh at you "wanna-be" rails, who don't take jobs because of hours, locations, etc. What the heck do you think the rest of us have been doing, for the last 180 years??? If you really want to be a railroader, you WILL find a way to get to the interview, move to the spot they hired you for, and WORK your way towards where you want to be, just like the rest of us do. Regards :wink: