Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak First Class Options on Regional and Long Distance Trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1640200  by Jeff Smith

Right now, Amtrak offers "First Class" on Acela, and considers buying sleeper accommodations as first class. That's it, only on those trains. Business Class is offered on other LD or Regional Trains.

What if Amtrak were to upgrade some coaches, including the upcoming Airo, to include a first class car, above and beyond business? Use a business class car, but upgrade the amenities similar to Acela. Or designate half-a-business class car.

Amenities

-At seat service
-Complimentary Food and Beverage (the food will have to be better than what's currently in the Cafe)
-Access to station lounges
-Assigned seating

Thoughts?
 #1640204  by electricron

I really do not understand why so many people desire an overpriced product on regional trains? It's a 3 to 3.5 hour trip from NYC to DC. Complimentary food and drinks will probably be limited to one drink and one snack, shucks you will barely have time to finish one of each. Why pay at least a $20 upcharge for $10 worth of drink and snack? Why order the overpriced items on the train in the first place? You do realize you can bring your own expensive or cheap food and drinks aboard any Amtrak train today? There are no limitations, except you can not eat or drink them in the cafe or lounge car. But you can at your seat!

If you want a hot dog and a root beer for a snack, bring your own. If you want champagne and caviar, bring your own.
 #1640210  by NaugyRR

On a Regional I don't really see the need, plus I don't see them trying to find crews to act as dedicated first class car attendants a-la the Acela. I also think Amtrak would want to keep the Acela as THE first class service so they can keep prices high for it.

In response to electricon, my wife and I like to splurge once or twice a year and ride first class to Boston for long weekends at the Marriott Long Wharf. Yes we are aware that the dollar for value isn't quite there, but the value for experience is. We work hard all year so it's nice to use the station lounges, get waited on, have table seating, and just enjoy a more laid back atmosphere. It's sort of the same reason why we ride business on Empire Trains; it's a more laid back environment than the rest of coach class and we like the armchair-style seating. If I was riding everyday I wouldn't pay extra for the higher class tiers, but for people like us who travel for leisure it's worth the extra for the experience.
 #1640224  by NaugyRR

I dunno about luxurious, but my back tends to like the business seats and foot rest more in my "old age" lol
 #1640226  by John_Perkowski

These are parlor car seats. A typical parlor car sat 30 people. The ratio of buffet parlors to parlors on many lines was 1 buffet parlor between each two standard parlors.

Amcrap does not have a clue on the meaning of first or business class. They think the airlines “premium economy” is de luxe travel.
IMG_4872.jpeg
IMG_4872.jpeg (207.87 KiB) Viewed 863 times
IMG_4871.jpeg
IMG_4871.jpeg (237.73 KiB) Viewed 864 times
 #1640229  by Gilbert B Norman

Colonel SIR; two points.

First, Amtrak DID have an idea what a traditional Parlor Car seat was all about - the Metroclubs as inherited from the PC. Second,

Having "been there done that" in this life, I don't think anyone would have dared presented themselves attired as are those folk in one of your immediate photos.
 #1640298  by R36 Combine Coach

Some regional trains and Metroliners in the 1980s/90s had three classes: coach, business (custom) and first (club class).

66/67 when known as Twilight Shoreliner/Federal had three classes, with first class being Viewliner sleepers.
 #1640303  by ExCon90

charlesriverbranch wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:01 am
From Amtrak's point of view, I don't thnk parlor cars would pay for themselves.
At ~28 seats per car plus an attendant in a white coat, whiskbroom in hand (put aside to help you on with your coat), I don't think they ever did. It's just something that was "done." Actually, I suppose you could say that the coach passengers were paying for it. Any argument for first class today would have to provide for at least the same revenue per car as coach.
 #1640344  by Jeff Smith

From a Facebook page “Art Deco”, shared by a group “Passenger Train Enthusiasts”, a photo of a first class car that apparently converts to a sleeper”. I use this picture as an example of potential seating in a first class car, not for the sleeper component.

Attachments:
(135.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
 #1640347  by Tadman

What would an additional first class offer? I'd prefer Amtrak got a reasonable business model and service level for business class before changing things again. I used to ride business class in corridors a fair amount. The chairs were terrific already, you can't get much more comfortable. The service, as usual, was pretty crummy. You get one free bottle of water and you get herded through the same awful boarding procedure in places like Detroit and Saint Louis. There is no upgraded food offering. As such, it's not a serious business travel option, so prices are low, and anybody rides in business. It is not glamorous travel.

A revamp of business class would be the best idea first.
Why do so many people here seem obsessed with how people dress?
I hate traveling next to people and touching elbows and knees, smelling them, etc... If I'm stuck in a tube with strangers for a few hours, let's all try to make it as pleasant for ohters as possible.