Railroad Forums 

• What happens if the Acela I doesn't make it to the finish line...

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1637226  by dowlingm

There’s always Caltrain’s 2 x AEM-7s once they are done with that catenary testing :)

They could also go shopping in Montreal if their ALP-45s are able to accept multisystem power like NJ’s can (and could then be disposed to NJT after the crisis passed)
 #1637330  by STrRedWolf

twropr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:15 pm Following the failure of train 2150 near Bridge interlocking on Jan 17, 13 Acela runs were canceled
over the next 36 hrs. 2150 had pantograph issues - I wonder if whatever he had was checked out on
the other train sets?
Andy
That falls in line with needing to rework the caternary in the area, from what the MARC alerts were telling at the time. Also an insider in similar circles let me know (via video proof) that MARC 68 out of Odenton rescued the consist, hauled it back down to WAS and got parked in Ivy City with two other consists. So I wouldn't be surprised if they did a shock reinspection of the panos.
 #1637553  by Matt Johnson

west point wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:42 am Can we expect continuing problems with PANs snagging on the old style PTT CAT? IMO time for Amtrak to bite the bullet and finish constant tension CAT on all sections where no improvements planned for speed increases.
They're still working on completing the segment between Princeton Junction and Trenton. Unless they can do it much faster, getting the entire NEC under constant tension is a tall order. I have noticed those new catenary hangars like the ones deployed between Jersey Ave and Monmouth Junction also appearing down in Maryland though.
 #1637569  by Tadman

BandA wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:58 pm Maybe lash the Acela 1s onto flatcars...
The brits do it all the time by road. Often a ferry move or hospital move are by truck in Britain. They will regularly load a road freight engine on a low boy and drive it from one shop to the other for work or even paint.

Supposedly this has to do with track charges. I may be getting this wrong but its evidently it is sometimes cheaper to haul a diesel engine by truck than a light move on rail.

There is also an old story, maybe five years ago, a class 37 (roughly their equivalent of a double ended FP9) was sold, loaded, and hauled a few hours before financing or something fell through. It was left for an abnormally long time at the rest area on a trailer before someone coughed up the dough to finish moving it and quiet the title.

#1637612  by STrRedWolf

Tadman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:58 pm
BandA wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:58 pm Maybe lash the Acela 1s onto flatcars...
The brits do it all the time by road. Often a ferry move or hospital move are by truck in Britain. They will regularly load a road freight engine on a low boy and drive it from one shop to the other for work or even paint.

Supposedly this has to do with track charges. I may be getting this wrong but its evidently it is sometimes cheaper to haul a diesel engine by truck than a light move on rail.

There is also an old story, maybe five years ago, a class 37 (roughly their equivalent of a double ended FP9) was sold, loaded, and hauled a few hours before financing or something fell through. It was left for an abnormally long time at the rest area on a trailer before someone coughed up the dough to finish moving it and quiet the title.
When Superstorm Sandy hit, the Rockaways were cut off from subway service. The tracks along the Rockaways were still good but the connection to the mainland wasn't. So they trucked in a few consists to the Far Rockaway station and the H line was alive for a while.