Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1627916  by eolesen

No, they wouldn't be forced to offer any services beyond the seat from A to B and access to a lavatory.

Service is still 3 years away, so who knows what will change between now and then. The plan right now is to run express to Elgin, and then additional stops beyond. There was talk of offering a stop near O'Hare as well.

My guess and this is only a guess is that this would be a bespoke ticketed service and not available to monthly pass users.

I don't think anything stops somebody from buying a ticket from Chicago to Glenview on the Hiawatha. This should be no different.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1627931  by justalurker66

eolesen wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:10 amI don't think anything stops somebody from buying a ticket from Chicago to Glenview on the Hiawatha. This should be no different
There was a time when Amtrak would not sell such a trip without a connecting train at Union Station. It was a note in the public timetables. Homewood to/from Chicago. Hammond-Whiting to/from Chicago. Naperville to/from Chicago. All not allowed.

Apparently Glenview is special. :-D
 #1627973  by eolesen

Maybe the restriction was dropped.... Naperville, Homewood and Glenview are all bookable from CUS. So is Hammond.

I'm not wasting the time to see if it can be ticketed.
ImageImageImageImage

#1627975  by justalurker66

eolesen wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:41 pmMaybe the restriction was dropped.... Naperville, Homewood and Glenview are all bookable from CUS. So is Hammond.

I'm not wasting the time to see if it can be ticketed.
I checked before I made my post. The last published timetables showed the restrictions as noted on the other destinations. Glenview was allowed at that time.

I didn't try scheduling an unlinked trip back in 2019 for any of the other cities. Getting to the checkout level on Amtrak is a fairly good sign that the purchase would be honored. But websites can have glitches.
 #1628949  by GWoodle

west point wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:47 pm What would be wild is that METRA would have to lease some Amfleets to provide the type of amenities that Metra does not have.
#1 may be to provide some bathrooms. Long way to ride without a comfort room.
#2 could be some kind of diner/lounge. Would be wild to have some kind of 3 coach, 1 cafe type service.

May be most important to abandon the idea of using IC/CN rails to Rockford & beyond.
No return of the "Land O Corn" or "Blackhawk"

Not sure what popular stops are between Elgin & downtown. Maybe just stop there, 1 close to O'Hare.
 #1629173  by eolesen

Metra's bi-levels have wheelchair accessible "comfort rooms" in every car. They also have wifi and power plugs.

There's precedent for setting up a snack stop inside the vestibule area if food is really an issue, but I doubt Metra wants that added complexity for a 90-120 minute ride...

I see no real reason to need to pick up any single level equipment for this -- that's just going to make it more expensive to operate vs. pulling three or four cars out of the suburban pool.
 #1637203  by Tadman

This is great news and really smart of the state to use their in-house railroad. I'm sure someone realized the cost to lease 2-3 motors at 30 years of age from Amtrak, along with 5-10 cars at the same age, was pretty astronomical compared with the same internal costs from Metra.

We also don't want to board these darn trains from Amtrak's Stalag 17 marching school. Hard pass on that one.
 #1637433  by nomis

You can always change-order some of those new cars on order. An example was 2x1 seating and other creature comforts from Bombardier et.al. for the ACES Train for NJ Transit from 15 years ago.
 #1637438  by eolesen

Not likely because that creates a subfleet vs a very large pool... but never say never.

#1637647  by Tadman

HOnestly the Metra walkover seats are not bad, certainly better than the single-level NICTD cars fixed seats. You could take a ride to Rockford or Belvidere in them.
 #1637707  by eolesen

The walkover seats are being replaced with fixed seats during overhauls. The selling point apparently was a cupholder....

I had them a few times before I stopped riding the train in 2019. Not great on a 75 minute local, but trying to maintain the Haywood-Wakefield's was a lost cause.
 #1638124  by Tadman

That stinks. The walkovers were pretty decent seats. I'd rather see them fixed in place than removed if maintenance is a problem.
 #1638607  by NH2060

Tadman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:14 pm That stinks. The walkovers were pretty decent seats. I'd rather see them fixed in place than removed if maintenance is a problem.
I think the ex-BN car I rode in on my first Metra ride last year had the seats locked in place. I tried moving it and it jiggled a bit but wouldn’t really budge.
 #1638626  by eolesen

If it was a green bench, it was probably just broken.

My understanding is that only the Amerail-MK and Nippon-Sharyo cars going thru overhauls would be getting the new seats. When I was still riding, it didn't appear that Metra was investing anything into the Budds or Pullmans that wasn't necessary for safety purposes.