Railroad Forums 

• More containers by rail, China to Europe.

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1637529  by fromway

Is there anyway the North American ports could pickup any of this business and then ship it East and West by US and Canadian railroads? I don't know if the ports and railroads have any wiggle room for more traffic?
 #1637531  by RandallW

If the West Coast ports are able to remain fluid, there is capacity in the system to handle some of this traffic (IIRC prior to the second Panama Canal opening the US Land Bridge was used for China->Europe shipping).

That said, the interior China->Europe rail routing is faster than using ships even in the best of times to the degree that there were were, prior to Russian invasion of Ukraine, premium China->Brazil services that were rail from China to western Europe (I forget which port) and then ship to Brazil to provide a faster than trans-Pacific, but cheaper than airfreight service for that market.
 #1637535  by David Benton

Interesting ideas.
I think Northeast China to Northernwest Europe , via Canada may have a chance???
NZ and Australia is in the same boat (pardon the pun), much of our trade goes via Singapore to load to supermax ships.
Then the Seuz canal route is faster , but the shortest direct distance(eastwards) is across the southern ocean and around the horn of Africa.