Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1636259  by Jeff Smith

https://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/tran ... 930/?amp=1
Ticket windows close on Metra BNSF line as part of updates

According to the agency, ticket windows at stations on the Metra BNSF line officially closed for good on Monday, though ticket agents will remain on site this week to help ease transitions to new ticketing options.

Passengers will now be required to purchase their tickets either through vending machines at stations, or by using the Ventra app, according to officials.

The BNSF line serves Chicago’s western suburbs, originating at Union Station and making stops in Naperville, Lisle, Hinsdale and several other communities before terminating its run at Aurora.
 #1636342  by eolesen

It's not just on the BNSF.

All of the remaining ticket windows are closing. BNSF closed them this week, UP and Unuon Station's will close at the end of the month.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1636463  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:
With the major changes to Metra fares coming on February 1, 2024 I have some thoughts here - https://metra.com/2024FarePlan

1-Which BNSF Aurora Line Stations will be getting TVMs and how many at each?
As example LIRR stations with TVMs have on average two machines available...

2-How many TVMs are going to be installed at Union Station to replace agent sales there?

3-The new fares make no mention of any on-board penalty fare surcharge for not using a TVM before boarding...

4-TVM One Way Tickets should be valid at minimum anytime on the date of sale - three hours is just too short a time - Even SEPTA (Philadelphia) with their own restrictive Regional Rail one way "Quick Tickets" are valid at all times on their particular sale date...

5-Will METRA be watching ticket sales closely to at least be open to staffing stations during prime times?
I am thinking beginning and end of months, some Mondays and at the highest ridership periods - especially the Downtown Chicago terminals when necessary...

6-The incremental step-up charge is no longer going to be offered as an extension of ride - as example SEPTA Regional Rail charges their on-board $4 intermediate flat fare in this instance...
Metra wants riders to purchase all tickets to the proper zone at all times as they now mention -
This is a case of "easier said than done" when a zone boundary happens to be in the equation...

7-The new use of just three outlying zones will make Metra fares very simple to understand and know...
I felt that the current fare system was not only fair - it was somewhat easy being geographically based...

8-In closing these new fares could become an incentive for riders to return to Metra trains over time...
The looming future transit "Fiscal Cliff" is something Chicagoland riders should be concerned about...
MACTRAXX
P.S. This post could be combined with the Metra fare changes topic began during 2023...Thanks!!!
 #1636469  by eolesen

Agents are gone and not coming back The app replaced them years ago. It's taken this long to attrit them out and get agreement from the unions on the alternatives for the few remaining with protection.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1637383  by MetraBNSF

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:53 pm Everyone:
With the major changes to Metra fares coming on February 1, 2024 I have some thoughts here - https://metra.com/2024FarePlan

1-Which BNSF Aurora Line Stations will be getting TVMs and how many at each?
As example LIRR stations with TVMs have on average two machines available...

3-The new fares make no mention of any on-board penalty fare surcharge for not using a TVM before boarding...
Union Station, La Grange Road, Western Springs, Hinsdale, Downers Grove Main Street, Belmont, Lisle, Naperville, Route 59, and Aurora all have at least one ticket vending machine. That’s 9 of the 26 stations

Metra will do away with the on-board penalty surcharge