Railroad Forums 

• Help me identify these bridges in Blasdell

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1636686  by dj_paige

In the photo, taken 19MAR2021, I am looking north from Lake Avenue in Blasdell along the Buffalo Southern RR (former Erie RR). The diamond in roughly the middle of the photo takes the current Norfolk Southern RR (former Nickel Plate RR) across the Buffalo Southern.

The bridges shown nearest the camera are (I think, this is where I get confused) actually two almost identical bridges, and if you don't look closely at the photo you might think it is just one bridge. Are these both New York Central RR, the closer of the pair now abandoned, the second of the pair now in use by NS? Was this the Gardenville Branch?

Then if you zoom in, there seem to be another pair of bridges in the distance, so close to each other that it looks like one bridge again; one bridge without a superstructure and one bridge with the superstructure. What are these two?
Attachments:
PMC_0157.jpg
PMC_0157.jpg (913.67 KiB) Viewed 348 times
 #1636699  by charlie6017

The first bridge with the is the bridge that carried the NYC Gardenville branch, tucked right behind is the out of service NS that connected to the former PRR. In the distance, the two bridges carried the former Lehigh Valley, one truss alongside the plate girder bridge.

Hope that helps!
Charlie