Railroad Forums 

• Springfield, IL line relocation

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1636120  by Jeff Smith

Relocating the line delayed: NewsChannel20
Springfield Rail Improvement Project faces delay after $138 million grant denial
Sangamon County Administrator Brian McFadden says the goal is to relocate downtown rail traffic from Third Street to the Tenth Street corridor.

The $138 million grant is necessary to complete the underpasses at Madison, Jefferson, Cook Street, and North Grand Avenue which is the final portion of the project.

“We've been doing a wonderful job all of us, you know, keeping the momentum going, which is why we're just so surprised that the funding didn't happen this year. But again, confident that we're going to eventually get the funding," says McFadden.
 #1636127  by chrisf

Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:07 am Thanks for the heads up. Do you know which carrier? Article was sparse on details.
The link to the project which I added to my post has a graph which lists the various roads involved. CSX isn't one of them, though.