Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1634452  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:00 am Interestingly, Ameristar Rail, the gadfly of Amtrak, has proposed a "grand solution" in several steps.
Gee, that actually looks like my proposed routing earlier in this thread...
 #1634559  by R36 Combine Coach

The concept of dedicated cars for airport service is not new: Eight SEPTA Silverliner IIIs were overhauled for PHL service with luggage racks, the last 40 CTA 2600s (3161-3200) delivered in early 1987 had them, as would be Cleveland's Airporter MUs of 1967-1970 and the UP Express DMUs and the 1200 series "A" unit R46s for the JFK Express. It is rumored both London's 1973 Piccadilly stock and NYCT's R44s were both designed for airport service to LHR and JFK respectively.

But with NYCT's large fleet, a dedicated, captive fleet would be difficult to manage, especially on the N Line which shares a pooled fleet with the Q and W at Coney Island. A dedicated fleet would be much easier on an isolated line such as the 7.

The Astoria transfer station with Amtrak is something I've imagined for over 20 years. If the infrastructure is already there... I could see select Regionals only here, no Acela Express service.