Railroad Forums 

• Dear KittyCat(2023)-

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1634239  by jaymac

Dear KittyCat-
Santa's been stressed these last few years, so I thought I'd try the most direct routing.
First of all, thanks for all you've done recently. What's now the Worcester Sub is even better than the former Worcester Main, especially since it had become the Worcester Maim.
Even though it's further from your home -- though closer to Santa's -- District 1 has gotten more concerted attention in a year than it had in decades. 25 is 2.5x better than 10.
Also, the M-B got transformed from an enemy into a resource.
It's been a semicenturyplus since I was in Signal Corps ROTC, but those lessons about the necessity of reliable radio communications have not been forgotten, so here's my list for this season of giving: Please exile the ZombieZones. They've existed ever since the B&M/MEC had a radio system but part of the original design was that 24-hour-staffed towers equipped with base stations-- remember towers? -- would provide infill. Now it's change location or use a phone.Remote transceivers with landline or microwave integration can provide infill now, and cobenificiaries like MassDOT/MBTA and NNEPRA might provide some financial infill.
I hope you don't find "KittyCat" too informal, but it struck me as being better than "Puddy Tat" seen elsewhere or "Dear Kitten" seen on YouTube.
Thanks,
-jaymac
 #1634254  by NHV 669

ACSES equipped? Who knows. Supposedly both roads may get a HU, but I've seen little more than the same speculative list floating around on this site and Facebook.
 #1634261  by NHV 669

Given the B&O heritage made a recent visit leading over the B&A, it probably makes sense that the HUs have it, or have it installed during the repaint process. I honestly have no idea.
 #1634267  by taracer

The only widebodies equipped with ACSES right now are some of the higher numbered 400's. They also have the plows cut for third rail on the Hudson line. They are older and classified as CW44AC's, and are rated for 300 tons less than the CW44AH's over the B&A. The AH's are heavier and have better wheel slip technology.

There is supposedly a single rebuilt CW44AC in the 7400 number series that has been equipped with ACSES, but it has not got back to Selkirk yet. I believe the rebuilds are classified as CW44CM's.

Expect to see more rebuilds and some AH's being equipped with ACSES as the 400's age out.
 #1634279  by CN9634

I believe the long term plan is i-ETMS that covers the line from Worcester to Brunswick. This would allow any CSX loco to lead, which operationally makes a lot of sense.