Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1632188  by Jeff Smith

I found a track map on nycsubway.org and was curious about the layout. It appears from this image that the leads to the yard cross each other. Same level? Are the yards interchangeable for usage even though one is A division and the other B?

Enquiring minds want to know.
 #1632264  by Allan

No, there is no physical connection between yards. The IRT Jerome Yard can only be reached from the Jerome Av elevated structure.

The IND Concourse Yard is accessible from the Jerome Av line by a ramp located between the elevated Kingsbridge Rd and Bedford Park Blvd stations. And of course accessible from the Concourse line via tunnel just north of the Bedford Park Blvd station (with a lead just south of the 205th St station.

I am sure some A division cars are still stored in the Concourse Yard when the need arises. I am also sure that when needed they can send A division cars down to the Coney Island facility for repairs that can only be done down there. I was on a fan-trip one time where the set of IRT Redbirds was sent down the ramp and onto the Concourse line into Manhattan and Brooklyn.

An interesting tidbit on the ramp from the Jerome Av structure into the Concourse yard that I heard about (I don't know how true it was but it could happen). For a time they would store some IRT cars (like the R26, etc) in the Concourse Yard. At the same time BMT/IND cars (like the R27s and R30s would be stored in the Concourse Yard. Well one day a train consist was being made up for Jerome Av service and someone was not paying attention and included in the consist of IRT cars a couple of R27/30s and sent them up the ramp. I don't know all the details but when the 10 foot cars hit the IRT width Kingsbridge Rd platform the damage was extensive.
 #1632597  by GirlOnTheTrain

There's a yard lead into Concourse from the 4 line, those leads are south of Bedford Park. The yard leads into Mosh aren't actually subway like the leads from the Delta - and right now, since the flyover from 207 to the 1 line is out, Concourse is the only bi-divisional access yard right now.