Railroad Forums 

• Kawasaki Rebuild Program at Alstom

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1630573  by OldColonyRailfan

Well, as it nears 2024, I say we need a new contract for the 900s. The 900s are aging and not exactly well. They have always looked bad for as far back as I know, but they are soon going to reach 20 years of age. If they want to get things moving, they gotta just do it, and with all the new Rotems coming into service, this is the perfect time to get them out to somewhere like Hornell in NY.

As we all know, the MBTA's planning and management isn't the best, especially with the whole red line disaster going on near Braintree. And south coast rail, is not going to be finished anytime soon, so they should really get the K cars in and out of rebuild to finish this whole order. Bring the electronics up to standards, with computers that power doors and traction interlocking, and ADA screens and speakers.

-Alex
 #1641841  by mbrproductions

Just made a post about this in the Rotem discussion, I 100% agree
 #1641913  by MBTAVideoClips

I wonder if they're just waiting to tell for sure when the rotems will be completely fault-free. If they start shipping out even just a few 900s now, who knows, maybe the new rotems will fail and then they wouldn't have enough ada bathroom cars ready for train sets. Or maybe they are at least waiting till the order is complete for a similar reason.
 #1641947  by CRail

I've heard from within the T that the 900s are slated for disposal rather than rebuild. I'd like to see them match the 700s but my opinion was not solicited.
 #1641968  by MBTAVideoClips

CRail wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:18 pm I've heard from within the T that the 900s are slated for disposal rather than rebuild. I'd like to see them match the 700s but my opinion was not solicited.
I'd rather want the 900s to be rebuilt. But either way we will still have modern bilevel cars that will become the standard up north, whether it be updated 900s or new 800s
 #1641988  by mbrproductions

CRail wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:18 pm I've heard from within the T that the 900s are slated for disposal rather than rebuild. I'd like to see them match the 700s but my opinion was not solicited.
That's definitely very odd, is there any reason in particular that they would choose to rebuild all the other K-cars, but just dump the 900s?
 #1642343  by BandA

Why would they not rebuild the Kawasakis? I rode on some recently and they still look good and ride good, although they have not kept up with the wifi and power outlet race!
 #1642361  by CRail

No cars have WiFi anymore. The 3G equipment is no longer supported.