Railroad Forums 

• NJ Transit to reactivate portion of former Boonton Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1579352  by Roadgeek Adam

Dcell wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:25 pm Light rail will have a tough time versus electric buses on a dedicated busway. NJT is just beginning to get its first EV buses but in 10-15 years, NJT will have a sizable EV bus fleet. The capital costs of a dedicated busway vs light rail route favors a busway. It's not what rail enthusiasts want to hear but for certain services, a busway makes sense
My opinion is Secaucus to Harmon Cove via Meadowlands Parkway to Route 3 to the Meadowlands stops. Meadowlands Parkway could use some improvements, but otherwise, it is cheap on the infrastructure and gets the same point across.
MaRoFu wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:47 pm It’d be neat if they could extend the busway west to Arlington. Perhaps they could extend it to Branch Brook Park or even Bay Street, although I don’t see that happening in a while since a portion of the ROW is being reserved for one of the possible Newark-Paterson light rail routes.

By the way, I wonder how this is going to affect the rail trail that people wanted to build on the ROW.
Not going to happen. As is, I've argued in the past, what the hell is going to be safe on WR Draw. WR Draw is now sealed shut from opening and from being walked on. I don't know the last time WR has seen tender loving care by NS (if ever since 2002 and definitely not since Hartz went down). WR will make a nice pedestrian overlook bridge if they choose to go that route. Otherwise it will probably sit there rotting for eternity until someone declares it a hazard and its demolished and that will be the end.
 #1629439  by Jeff Smith

This was tucked into an article: NJ.com
Old train line clear for N.J.’s newest Greenway, but do its rail age relics have a future?
NJ Transit has spoken for a branch off that line between Secaucus and MetLife stadium for use as a combined “Transitway” transit and trail route that the agency wants running in time to shuttle fans for the 2026 World Cup games.