Railroad Forums 

• Siemens to manufacture 83 Airo Intercity Trainsets for Amtrak: Design, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1618221  by Gilbert B Norman

While not certain of the lineage of the car in the photo submitted by Mr. Randall W, Amtrak largely converted USAX Baggage Cars to their Power Car fleet:

https://www.hebners.net/Amtrak/amtE9B/amt686L.jpg

Amtrak was wise, at least in this case, to recognize the generator "weighed", and could potentially weaken the car's structure. They were "not so wise" when they converted Coaches to Baggage Cars, and started to wonder why the cars lost structural integrity.
 #1618235  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:06 am https://www.travelersunited.org/to-maxi ... dor-first/
Isn't Amtrak obligated to replace the Cascade sets first? I think they got Horizon sets replacing the Taligo sets that were used on the bypass... and crashed... and then got banned...
 #1618237  by Jeff Smith

Well, the Horizons are crap, so it doesn't surprise me. Replacing the NEC equipment will take years; I'm not sure how many sets the Cascades require. More since they reinstituted the 2nd frequency.
 #1618270  by RandallW

The Cascades Aero train design is essentially complete so can be delivered as fast as they can build (we can consider it basically in use by VIA now, but with a different Charger cab--it seems the Aero cab cars use the same cabs as the Chargers do) while the east coast power systems need to have designs approved and then tested.
 #1625516  by BandA

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:59 am From Fairfield Inn Tifton GA--

Baggage Cars? Why?

"Take what you need. but need what you take"

I'm on Day 3 of an eleven day road trip to Boca, and I have one wardrobe bag, a flight bag, and a briefcase that does do duty as a bag.

For a two night trip to Miami during January (fly), I had the over the shoulder flight bag and that was it.

For my seven night trips overseas, I have a suitcase that once upon a time would fit under a Coach seat but the way those have shrunk over time, I doubt it anymore.

Wheeled luggage what's that "if you can't carry it, don't bring it".

During the TV coverage of an airline's "Xmas Meltdown", I was horrified at the amount of baggage piled up (all of it looked to have wheels), and I wondered how much of that stuff did the people REALLY need?

In short, if people lived by the motto set forth opening this post, there would be no need for Baggage Cars (funny how they don't have them overseas, or at least I've never seen 'em, just bag storage shelves).
Baggage cars deserve a renaissance; Where else will you put the bicycle racks?. And the Less Than Carload priority freight, with Robots with Lasers to load them. Heck even the USPS recognizes packages are the Future.
 #1625570  by Gilbert B Norman

Sorry, but I am simply astounded by the amount of stuff "amateur travelers" feel compelled to take with them - any mode of transport.

A neighbor's two girls (17yo Councilor, 14yo) went off to camp somewhere in Northern Michigan. I was sent a photo when the 14yo got there - with her mound of stuff. This included a stuffed Polar Bear named Koko, as big as their real life Labrador Retriever, as well as "other necessities" (anyone think I believe that?) for a month at camp.

The girls' Mother said to me yesterday: "I think you secretly want to have a Koko yourself!!!". "Sure, and take it on the plane with me to Salzburg (Munich) next month".

I cannot promise this link will work (I'm fresh out of Gift Articles), but here goes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/08/opin ... =url-share

Moderator; if this personal anecdote is too topic unrelated, understand if killed.
 #1627335  by Traingeek3629

Couple questions:

Will these be replacing the Sprinter/Amfleet/Metroliner Cab sets that typically run on the Keystone Service?
If so, how would it work? Will the fact that it's diesel-hauled slow the trains down? Or will they exclusively draw power from the APC?
 #1627341  by David Benton

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:07 pm I think what matters here is not what passengers need but what they want. If that can be provided without outlandish cost to the provider it should be available, at an extra charge if necessary.
I think the ad nailed it,"All because the lady loves chocolate". Nowadays, it would probably be WiFi and coffee, though probably viewed as essentials, not luxuries.
 #1627346  by STrRedWolf

Traingeek3629 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:00 pm Couple questions:

Will these be replacing the Sprinter/Amfleet/Metroliner Cab sets that typically run on the Keystone Service?
If so, how would it work? Will the fact that it's diesel-hauled slow the trains down? Or will they exclusively draw power from the APC?
They'll draw power first from the APC, since they'll be in electric territory on the Keystone. The diesel will be there in case caternary power dies.

The Pennsy will do the same, but likely west of Harrisburg they'll drop the caternary head and fire up the diesel. That will be done during the mandatory wait time they have for swapping out conductors (and probably engineers).
 #1627397  by Traingeek3629

Having to lug a Diesel engine around while the train is running on an electric route seems like it'll slow acceleration down by a lot. If they don't think the electric power cars will be reliable enough to not need a diesel, that's a problem in of itself.
 #1627401  by RandallW

All of these trainsets are designed to be in one of four pools:
  • Cascades - straight Diesel, no electric (works with existing SC-44s in Cascades service)
  • Empire Corridor - Diesel with battery assist for all NY upstate services, including those that extend beyond Albany
  • NEC (8 car) and NEC (6 car) - Diesel with pantograph assist for all NEC services including those that extend beyond the existing catenary (Carolinian, Downeaster, Pennsylvanian, Vermonter, and Virginia services)
What's interesting about the NEC sets is not that they can operate during failures, but that they can operate during planned overhead power outages that can now be longer without causing disruptions than would be possible if pure electric units were used.